Coffee in the CITY
Thursday Life: FOOD
Home to the much sought-after Blue Mountain coffee — a premium commodity fetching top-price among caffeine connoisseurs across the globe — it's appropriate really, that The Rock's capital city is dotted with a potpourri of coffee shops for those looking to indulge their coffee fix.
The coffee haunts are found occupying space with Kingston's finer hotels (Terra Nova All-Suite's Regency Patisserie, Jamaica Pegasus' 24 Seven Café or The Spanish Court's Café), shopping malls (Café Blue at Sovereign, Cannonball Café at Sovereign North, Rituals Coffee House at Village Plaza, Susie's Bakery & Coffee Bar at Southdale Plaza), or as stand-alone establishments (Jamaica Observer Food Awards-nominated bistro Fromage).
Be it classic brewed black coffee, frappuccino and cappuccino varietals, quick-jolt espressos, or coffee mixes that feature a welcome splash of liquor here and there, variety is the name of the game.
With coffee on the mind, Thursday Life traversed around town to see and taste the caffeinated hot and cold beverages on the menu at Kingston's preferred coffee spots, and what best pairs with a cup of Joe or frap.
24 SEVEN CAFÉ AT THE JAMAICA PEGASUS:
Perfect For: Early-Morning or Late-Night Pick-Me-Ups
81 Knutsford Boulevard
Great For: Catching Up With Old Friends
106 Hope Road
Good for: A Chilled Out Atmosphere
29 Barbican Road, Kingston 6
FROMAGE GOURMET MARKET & BISTRO:
If You're In The Mood For Spiked Delights
8 Hillcrest Avenue
REGENCY PATISSERIE AT TERRA NOVA ALL-SUITE HOTEL:
If You're Looking For: A Euro-Chic Vibe
17 Waterloo Road
RITUALS COFFEE HOUSE
Best Suited To: Hang Out on a Shopping Break
24 Constant Spring Rd.
THE CAFÉ AT SPANISH COURT HOTEL
Ideal For: A Business Meeting
1 St Lucia Avenue
Telephone : 926-0000
SUSIE'S BAKERY & COFFEE BAR
Perfect For: A Touch of Home
2 South Ave
COFFEE'S TOP 5 HEALTH BENEFITS
1. Heart Health: A large-scale Dutch study found that moderate coffee drinkers had a 20 per cent lower risk of heart diseases when compared to non-drinkers.
2. Potent Antioxidant: With more antioxidants than cocoa and green tea, coffee is a generous source of inflammation-fighting antioxidants.
3. Cancer-fighting: Increasing amounts of research show that coffee drinkers are less likely to develop certain cancers, such as prostate in men and endometrial in women.
4: Mind Food: Studies found that consuming coffee may prevent cognitive decline associated with the development of Alzheimer's and dementia. Caffeine also gives you a short-term memory boost each time you drink it.
5. Disease Prevention: A 2009 study found that coffee drinkers reduced their chances of developing type 2 diabetes by seven per cent for each cup of coffee consumed daily.
5. Mental Health: Many studies demonstrate that coffee lovers are up to 20 per cent less likely to suffer from depression, as caffeine gets the brain to release dopamine and serotonin, which help to keep us happy.
DID YOU KNOW?
o Blue Mountain Coffee's principal market is Japan, receiving 80% of Jamaica's total coffee production.
o Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee is one of the most expensive in the world, selling for about US$40 a pound in the USA, four times the price of other coffees in its league. In Japan, US$40 can be the cost of a single cup alone!