THE Bureau of Gender Affairs Jamaica last week launched the 'No Excuse for Abuse' (#NEFA) public education campaign, as well as an online gender-based violence platform.
“Relationships, while a necessary part of our lives, continue to be a source of vulnerability for many Jamaican women throughout their entire lifetime,” said Minister of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport Olivia Grange at the launch.
“Intimate partner violence, a form of gender-based violence, diminishes social, economic, psychological and emotional well-being of women, their offspring, and future generations.”
Grange said that the #NEFA campaign aims to increase the awareness of gender-based violence in Jamaica with the view to prevent it, and increase understanding of the roles of government and civil society in response to gender-based violence.
“The campaign will target women ages 15-35 and men ages 15-40,” Grange added. “We are targeting the perpetrators of abuse and violence, the survivors, witnesses, and those currently experiencing violence.”
In addition to social media, the minister said that the campaign will utilise traditional media platforms, as well as visiting hundreds of communities across the island.
At the event, Dr Pilar de la Corte Molina of the United Nations Population Fund handed over the online gender-based violence platform Break the Silence to the minster.
The site, www.breakthesilencetoday.com, allows its users to create profiles, share photos and videos, join forums, take polls, and access resources related to gender-based violence.
The campaign and online platform were launched as part of the ministry's activity line-up for the 16 days of activism in recognition of International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women (IDEVAW). The activites started on November 25, which is internationally recognised as IDEVAW, and culminates December 10, International Human Rights Day.