"FROM the first time I saw an Evolution IV at Dover Raceway in St Ann in 1998, I told myself that I had to own one," Kamar Khan told Auto.
The St Catherine resident said eight years later he did.
"I had the option to purchase that or an Evolution VIII. The Evolution IV had always been one of my favourite versions of the model. Plus, I realised that I'd have some money left over to tune it," he said.
So, he acquired his 1996 Evolution IV for a little over $600,000 and the journey began.
He immediately added a HKS SSQ blow-off valve, and a Blitz air filter. But, it was not smooth sailing.
"I had some bad experiences with performance mechanics, so I did a lot of work on it myself where I could," he said.
Factory rated at 276 horsepower, Khan's Evo now produces 450 wheel horsepower and 399-lb/ft
of torque at 19 pounds
"All the driver aids are gone," said Khan. "It has the axles and the shorter gearing from the Mäkinen VI RS. I also run full mechanical diffs," he said.
His love for the Evolution IV meant
very little exterior modifications.
"I had the roof done in a carbonfibre wrap until I can find and afford a real carbonfibre roof. The headlights and fog lamps were converted to HIDs (High Intensity Discharge). That's it," he said.
He concentrated his efforts there reupholstering the interior with full Recaro seat material and re-wrapping the leather Momo steering wheel.
"My car appeals to both the hardcore tuner and the casual auto enthusiast," Khan said.
• 2.3-litre Manley Stroker Kit w/forged pistons 9:1CR, turbo tuff rods, balanced crankshaft
• Custom Garrett 37R Dual ball-bearing Turbocharger
• Custom exhaust manifold and downpipe
• Tial 45mm wastegate
• Tial Blow-off valve
• Ported/Polished head
• HKS 272 intake/exhaust camshafts
• HKS valve springs w/titanium retainers
• AEM cam gears
• Supertech Black Nitrate valves
• Siemens 1000cc fuel injectors
• AEM engine management system
• 5 BAR MAP sensor
• AEM Methanol injection kit
• MagnaFlow exhaust system
• Upgraded front mounted intercooler with hard pipes
• Megan Catch can
• Ralliart oil pump
• Balance shaft eliminator
• High-performance alternator
• Lightened accessory pulleys Transmission
• Mäkinen Edition gear kit
• Hydraulic clutch conversion
• Quartermaster ceramic metallic twin disc
• Quaife front differential
• Cusco rear differential
• Evolution VI axles
• Active Yaw Control deleted Suspension/Brakes
• Õhlins Puma Cup coil-overs w/Eibach springs
• Cusco front strut brace
• Ralliart rear strut brace
• Evolution VI RS rack and pinion
• Braided brake lines
• Hawk brake pads