WHEN it comes to personal finances, many women find themselves floundering. We are often caught between our desire to enhance our financial wealth and our lack of knowledge of where to begin. The result is often more debt, less wealth, and no retirement planning. And many of us are not as financially focused as we should be.
However, you can become more educated about your finances through focusing on subjects such as spending, borrowing, saving and investing, earning and income, and protecting your money. Ladies, act now. Time waits for no man (or woman) and our financial focus benefits our families, our friends, our social networks and dare we say, our country?
The truth is that becoming financially focused requires effort. However, you can do it, and we have a very basic recipe for success:
* Savings first - You must save for a rainy day.
* Envisioning goals - What do you want to achieve?
* Earning power - Can you improve your current situation? Ask for a raise? Go back to school and improve your skills?
* Learn the art of handling money - This is where your financial advisor comes in. You are not in this alone, our job is to help you navigate the challenges of money management.
* Budget Basics - This is so critical. You must prioritise your needs over wants.
* Responsible borrowing - Again, your advisor can help you to make the right choices when it comes to ensuring that you only borrow what you really can manage to repay.
* The world of investing - For some this is a foreign land with a different language. It doesn't have to be that way. Your advisor is your tour guide and will ensure that your journey is empowering and profitable.
* Thinking about the future - How will you live in retirement? You can begin the planning now to ensure that your dreams come true.
A little knowledge and a healthy attitude about money can go a long way in helping you establish a bright future. Through regular conversations about personal finance with a trusted friend, reading articles and speaking with a financial advisor, you can become financially focused.
Geneieve Harty is the branch manager for Barita Montego Bay. Ready to learn more? Register to attend the Fabulous, Fashionable & Financially Focused Conference on July 12th. Register online at www.finanicallyfocus.com