Caribbean Producers to begin food service operations in St Lucia by summer

Caribbean Producers to begin food service operations in St Lucia by summer

Friday, May 16, 2014

Print this page Email A Friend!



CARIBBEAN Producers Jamaica (CPJ) bought all the shares in a subsidiary which will hold its joint venture activities in St Lucia.


"CPJ St Lucia will begin its food service operations by the first-quarter of the next fiscal year," according to financials released to the Jamaica Stock Exchange this week.


CPJ executives Mark Hart and Tom Tyler were out of office when contacted.


"During the period the company acquired 100 per cent interest in a subsidiary called CPJ Investments Ltd which owns 51 per cent interest in CPJ St Lucia. Both companies are incorporated in St Lucia," stated CPJ in its financials.


Concurrently, the company earned US$1.1-million net profit for its March third-quarter or 12 per cent less than year earlier levels. The reduction was due in part to the "losses incurred in the operations of the joint venture Caribbean Egg Processors and increased operating costs".


CEP recorded a US$46,000 loss and operating costs jumped 9.4 per cent to US$3.6 million. The company however experienced better results earlier in the financial year which was reflected in its nine-months net profit up 52 per cent year-on-year to US$2.7 million.


CPJ announced in February that it formed a joint venture in St Lucia with Du Boulay's Bottling Company which currently bottles coca-cola drinks. CPJ holds a 51 per cent controlling stake in the joint venture, while the remaining 49 per cent is held by Du Boulay's Bottling Company Limited. Initially, the joint venture will service its key hospitality customers on the island with our dry goods and food, both refrigerated and frozen. CPJ started operations in 1994 and in July 2011 listed on the Junior Market of the Jamaica Stock Exchange. The company holds total equity of some US$15.4 million which equates to one of Jamaica's leading food-service distributors.


Du Boulay, the official bottler and distributor of Coca-Cola products in St Lucia distributes to over 2,200 active accounts, including the major hospitality and institutional customers.



Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaperlive


ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT