Fast food promotion was an error

Tell Claudienne

Claudienne Edwards

Sunday, September 02, 2012    

Print this page Email A Friend!

Dear Claudienne

I work in downtown, Kingston. Earlier this year (near the end of April or May) an advertisement appeared in a Weekend Star newspaper that stated that Mother's had a special meal deal consisting of two pieces of chicken with fries and a drink for a cost of $299.

I sent a bearer to the Mother's outlet at the corner of King Street and Parade to buy this special. However, the bearer brought me one piece of chicken and a drink that cost $250. He said that the outlet said that they were unaware of the advertisement and special offer.

I then phoned the manager who said she was unaware of the special offer but she would check and return my call.

I next phoned the Mother's head office and spoke to the operator. Later that day someone from the head office phoned me and explained that the Gleaner Company had erroneously printed the advertisement. She then promised to send me two vouchers and took my name and telephone number.

On the Wednesday of the following week I rang the Mother's head office and reminded them that I had been promised the vouchers. I was told that the manager had approved the two vouchers. However, to date I have not received them.

Could you look into the matter for me.


Dear FE

We contacted the office of the managing director of Mother's and they confirmed that the posting of the advertisment was an error. Their marketing department was instructed to send you two complimentary vouchers and we note that you have received the vouchers.

Tell Claudienne also spoke to the Gleaner's advertising manager. She said that an incorrect advertisement for Mother's appeared in the Star. She said that the company worked out an arrangement with Mother's to compensate them through advertisements.

Good luck.

Dear Claudienne

The National Water Commission (NWC) is threatening to sell a property that I own in Spanish Town as they say that I owe $1,487,420.48 for water used at the premises.

I used to have a restaurant there but was forced to close it from in the 1990s when extortionists wanted money from me. I did not give them any money so they tried to burn down the place.

I eventually rented the restaurant to an ex-worker. The NWC had turned off the water as the bill was not being paid but it was apparently reconnected illegally.

I migrated to Canada, but when I retire I want to come home to Jamaica.

What should I do?

The NWC said that the NWC Act "allows the Commission to place a charge on your property, to sell the property and recover the sums owed, to seize by way of distraint any goods, including any motor vehicles, plants, equipment, furniture, and other chattels found at the premises."


Dear GR

Please engage a lawyer immediately, to respond to the "final notice" you received from the NWC advising you of their intention to commence recovery action in the Courts under the NWC Act.

Good luck.

Have a problem with a store, utility, a company? Telephone 936-9436 or write to: Tell Claudienne c/o Sunday Finance, Jamaica Observer, 40-42 1/2 Beechwood Avenue, Kingston 5; or e-mail: Please include a contact phone number.



Should the shift system be eliminated  in all high schools?
Not All

View Results »


Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon