Illegally residing in the US without a passport?

Get to the nearest Jamaican consulate

Tell Claudienne with Claudienne Edwards

Sunday, April 20, 2014    

Print this page Email A Friend!

Dear Claudienne,

I need your help in figuring out how to help a friend. My friend left Jamaica to spend a holiday in the US when he was about 16 or 17. He decided to live there and has been doing so ever since. Unfortunately, he did not avail himself of any of the avenues to becoming a resident or citizen. He now wants to retun home but has no clue how to go about it. What has made his situation more difficult is that during his years in the US, because of moving around he has somewhow lost his Jamaican passport, which would prove that he legally arrived in the US.

Can you advise me of what he can do to get back to Jamaica safely? Any direction you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.


Dear AR

The Diaspora and Consular Division (D&CD) of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs advised Tell Claudienne that your friend should go to the Jamaican consulate in the US nearest to where he lives and submit an application to obtain a new passport.

To apply for the passport he will need to submit his birth certificate and a photograph of himself. Since your friend is now residing in the US illegally, he might need the help of persons in Jamaica to obtain his birth certificate.

The D&CD has suggested that your friend visit the consulate and tell them his story, and get advice as to how to deal with his problem.

There is a Jamaican Embassy in Washington and there are consulates in New York and Miami. There are also honorary consular officers in other parts of the US.

To get more information he could also phone the consulates or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs .

He can obtain the phone numbers through Google on the internet.

Good luck.

Dear Claudienne

My wife, who now resides in the US, retired from the public service almost 10 years ago. She was a teacher at the Old Harbour Bay Primary School for thirty-six (36) years.

We are having trouble claiming her NIS pension. We have completed all the necessary forms and sent all the information they asked for, but have received no reply after waiting two years.

She is 67 years old and lives with our children in the US. I have read your column in the Jamaica Observer and have seen how you have helped others. Would it be possible for you to assist us with this matter? I have provided her relevant information below to enable any assistance you may be able to provide.



Dear AG

The NIS said that an error was made in processing your wife's pension. The error resulted in the NIS sending to your wife in Florida a cheque for a small grant of $20,000. The NIS informed Tell Claudienne that the error has now been rectified and seven years of pension benefits totalling $804,000 is owed to your wife.

This money will be sent to her shortly and we will follow this up.

Good luck

Have a problem with a store, utility, a company: telephone 936-9436 or write to: Tell Claudienne c/o Sunday Finance, Jamaica Observer, 40-42 1/2 Beechwood Avenue, Kingston 5; or e-mail: Please include a contact phone number.





1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus


Should the shift system be eliminated  in all high schools?
Not All

View Results »


Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon