Allow me space to highlight a common "gay rights" lobby argument, which often uses misdirection and emotion-getting propaganda as a ploy.
It is the usual argument that because gays contribute so much to society, that they should be free to live as they please. The issue is not if gays can/do contribute to society. It is, should their lifestyle be accepted as 'normal' and/or never face criticism or opposition?
All of the principles of a true democracy declare unreservedly that the "gay rights" lobby (at least in terms of the REAL hidden gay agenda) should not be successful in Jamaica if the following questions be faced squarely and honestly:
(1) Should the freedom of speech rights be infringed to protect the gay minority from criticism or verbal opposition?
(2) Should the freedom of religion rights, including the right to preach against the homosexual lifestyle, or to freely label it an "abomination", be curtailed to overprotect one lifestyle philosophy in the minority?
(3) Should the right to national sovereignty by Jamaica, and its right to make and retain laws to suit its own local culture, local situation, and majority view of morals, be infringed by international pressure and local minority lobby groups?
(4) Does the gay community have the right to impose its aberrant lifestyle on society, no matter if the majority view continues to deem its lifestyle unacceptable and immoral?
(5) Is there sufficient unbiased scientific data that homosexuality is a condition one is genetically "born" with, and that it is never just a mental pre-disposition that is nurtured by certain segments of the society?
(6) Is it widely known that for very many years (1952-1973) scientists legitimately categorised homosexuality as a "mental disorder", until the powerful gay lobby in America (in the early 1970s) pressured the powers that be, by placards and other means of demonstration, to relabel it as "normal" to suit certain powerful interest groups in America?
(7) Should the gay lifestyle be considered "normal" in light of either the biological normalcy of species, normal societal conventions, and or normal religious/moral values?
The truthful answer to the above questions is a resounding "NO"(!!!), and I ask the Jamaican society on a whole, to take stock of itself as the spirit of Sodom and Gomorrah returns to our world with unrelenting fury. No wonder the Bible makes plain that "AS IT WAS IN THE DAYS OF LOT (SODOM), SO SHALL IT BE" in the last days!! Does anyone doubt the clear fulfillment of this end time prophecy, even as we see the gay lifestyle now enjoying a growing 'global victory'; a matter soon to overtake Jamaica too, no doubt (ie if the very active gay rights lobbyists should have their way without a fight)? Open your eyes, well-thinking Jamaicans, and let's continue to beat back the tide of evil that did cause the demise of the well-known culture of Sodom. The future we invest in for our children, and for our nation, is the result of choices we make here and now!! Let's all ask this question: DO MORALS HAVE A PLACE IN JAMAICA? Or should we shelve our national anthem as a prayer to God, and allow anything and everything to hold sway in Jamaica, no matter how immoral?
Teacher at Munro College
Defender of Normal Family Values