Entertainment

Sumfest gets makeover

BY RICHARD JOHNSON Observer senior reporter johnsonr@jamaicaobserver.com

Wednesday, February 08, 2017    

Print this page Email A Friend!


Come July, Reggae Sumfest will celebrate its 25th anniversary, and current promoter Downsound Entertainment is planning a special week of events to commemorate the milestone.

Downsound boss Josef Bogdanovich has extended the activities surrounding the annual summer reggae festival to a whole week from July 16-22. The week-long festival of Jamaican culture encapsulates signature live concerts, Sumfest sound clash, a variety of parties, food, and craft at multiple venues across the second city, Montego Bay.

“Primarily, we just want to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the festival. We are all excited about making the anniversary a really special deal, so we are adding a few more events to make it a whole experience while maintaining the two nights of live shows. Reggae is more than music; it’s a movement, an experience. That experience extends beyond the festival to countless of Montegonian entrepreneurs, hotels, restaurants and other businesses,” Bogdanovich told Jamaica Observer.

The event kicks off on Sunday, July 16 with a beach party and moves into the Sumfest Sunset Yacht Party on Monday, July 17. The staple all-white party at Pier One happens on Tuesday, July 18, followed by Sumfest Blitz on Wednesday, July 19. On Thursday, July 20, Pier One will play host to the exciting Sumfest Heavy Weight Clash. The culmination of events will be at Catherine Hall on Friday, July 21 and Saturday, July 22 with the pulsating rhythms of music and Jamaican culture.


Bogdanovich and his team took over the event last year, converting it to a reggae and dancehall music event and dropping the international acts which had become a staple under the original organiser, Summerfest Productions.

He told the Observer he would take a watch-and-see attitude as it relates to keeping the one-week format after this year’s staging, and declined to comment on whether or not there will be any international acts this year.

“Like I said, we are just making sure the anniversary is a good one. We want people, especially tourists, to come in and enjoy Montego Bay for a week, so we are starting early with the promotions in the US. After this year, we will see how it goes and decide. The plan is to make Sumfest a festival of international standards, so that is what we are really working at. As soon as we decide on the artistes, we will let you know,” he said.

“The concept of Our Music, Our Festival appeals to the worldwide community eager to share in Jamaican experience. Jamaica is infectious,” Bogdanovich continued.

ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

 

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

Do you support the Gov’t giving US$200,000 towards staging the Racers Grand Prix 2017? 
Yes
No


View Results »


ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT