Dad's last hug

Father shot dead outside prep school after dropping off son

Observer staff reporter

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!

Two minutes after Ainsley Foulkes escorted his son into Lannaman's Preparatory School in St Andrew, hugged him, and then walked back out to his motor vehicle, the 47-year-old businessman was shot dead.

The brazen murder, committed yesterday morning about 7:30 when many children were being dropped off at the school on Terrence Avenue, sent parents and their kids, frightened by the loud explosions, scampering for cover.

“I saw when his son hugged him and I went back to my car. I heard three or four sounds... about 10 seconds later the gentleman walked back through the school gate, because it happened on the outside. He walked in with blood on his shirt saying, 'Help me! Help me!' and that's when I realised what happened,” a parent, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told the Jamaica Observer.

“There was a little confusion — about 15, 20 seconds — before they decided to take him outside to his van. Some guys from the community put him inside the van... and I took him to KPH (Kingston Public Hospital) where he was pronounced dead,” the parent added.

The murder resulted in the closure of Terrence Avenue, one of the roads being used to detour traffic from the normally heavily travelled Hagley Park Road due to the major road expansion work taking place.

Senior Superintendent in charge of St Andrew Central Maurice Robinson told the Observer that Foulkes had dropped off his son and was returning to his vehicle when he was confronted by a man who exited a white Nissan Tiida motor car. The man fired several shots, hitting him in the upper body.

Robinson said no motive has been established as yet for the brutal slaying.

“We have heard a number of theories but we can't say at this point in time what is the motive behind it,” he said, adding that they are following all the leads.

When the Observer visited Lannaman's Prep yesterday morning, school officials declined to speak. Parents were seen crying silently, others spoke among themselves, while a few who were unaware of the shooting were seen dropping off their children.

“I was talking to him before he left and then he returned with gunshot wounds to his chest and arm,” one parent was overheard saying.

By 9:40 am a number of parents got wind of the shooting and returned for their children.

They were told that classes would be suspended at midday. However, an hour later parents were advised to collect their children following a counselling session conducted by a trauma team sent by the Ministry of Education.

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon