30 families homeless in Beeston Street fire
KINGSTON, Jamaica — Some 30 families are now homeless after fire razed the tenement they called home at the intersection of Beeston and Regent Streets in downtown, Kingston this morning.
Three units from the Kingston Fire Brigade were on the scene trying to douse the blaze, which trapped people on the top floor of a residence who were trying desperately to salvage their belongings.
While the distraught victims blamed an electrical short circuit as the cause of the blaze firefighters were not willing to make a pronouncement until their investigations were complete.
As firemen battled the blaze, which affected the dwellings and a neighbouring business place, residents of the community were busy assisting victims in trying to save whatever they could.
One woman was brought to tears as she rued the loss of all her belongings including her daughter's school uniforms, books and entire wardrobe.
Member of Parliament for West Kingston, Desmond McKenzie, promised to assist the affected people and bemoaned the state of the fire service.
"They are working on meagre resources and if they were properly equipped they could have done more to help the people," McKenzie said.
Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/jamaicaobserver
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/JamaicaObserver