Ex-soldier, two others acquitted in gun court
BY PAUL HENRY Crime/Court Desk co-ordinator email@example.com
Kingston, Jamaica — A former Jamaica Defence Force soldier and two other men were freed in the High Court Division of the Gun Court after several discrepancies were discovered in the Crown’s case.
The 24-year-old ex-soldier, Almando Bisasor, Julian Campbell and McCally Roberts, who were represented by attorney Michael Lorne, were freed of charges of illegal possession of a firearm and assault.
The men, who live in the Irish Town area of St Andrew, are accused of kidnapping at gunpoint, and assaulting another resident over a stolen gun. The incident is alleged to have occurred last year August.
The complainant testified during the trial that he managed to escape and went to his family and that he reported the matter to the police the following day.
However, the complainant reportedly contradicted himself on the stand under cross-examination by Lorne. He also admitted that he was seen by his mother at his uncle’s gate that night, in the company of the men who had supposedly kidnapped him hours earlier.
The complainant’s mother also testified to that effect. She reportedly testified that she left the complainant at his uncle’s as he said he wanted to sleep there that night, instead of at the home he shares with his mother.
Also, the investigating officer in the case was unable to offer an explanation ååhow a statement dated October 1, 2011 and which stated that it was taken on Saturday, October 1, 2011, could have been submitted in August of 2011.
Justice Paulette said she did not believe that the man was kidnapped but warned the accused men, who are all farmers, that they should work to restore Irish Town to the peaceful place it once was.
Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/jamaicaobserver
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/JamaicaObserver