Latest News

Fire destroy houses in St Elizabeth, Westmoreland

Sunday, September 30, 2012 | 1:00 PM    

Print this page Email A Friend!


KINGSTON, Jamaica - Fire believed to be caused by an electrical short-circuit early Sunday morning destroyed a six-apartment dwelling in Thatch Walk district, Bull Savannah in St Elizabeth.

Information received is that about 1:00am a neighbour who heard a loud banging sound went to investigate and discovered that the house was ablaze. The Santa Cruz Fire Department was summoned and one unit extinguished the blaze.

The house was not insured and an estimated loss not ascertained

Meanwhile, in another case fire believed to be caused by a lit candle destroyed a four apartment board dwelling on Hermitage Road, Red Ground in Westmoreland.

Reports are that about 1:55am neighbours discovered that the house was on fire and alerted the occupants. The Negril Fire Department responded and carried out cooling down operations.

Loss is estimated at $1.5m. It is not known if the house was insured.

Investigations continue in both cases.

Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/jamaicaobserver

Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/JamaicaObserver

ADVERTISEMENT

POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

 

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

Do you think an increase in JUTC bus fares is justified at this time?
Yes
No


View Results »


ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT