Health Minister orders probe into procedures at Jubilee Hospital
KINGSTON, Jamaica -- Health Minister Dr Fenton Ferguson has ordered an investigation into operational procedures at the Victoria Jubilee Hospital (VJH) after a damning Jamaica Observer story published yesterday, Sunday, August 3.
The Sunday Observer outlined allegations of unprofessional conduct by health personnel at the maternity hospital.
According to a ministry release Monday afternoon only one written complaint regarding the treatment of a patient at the VJH had been received. The complaint, the ministry said, is presently being investigated.
However, Dr Ferguson said while he looks forward to the results of the present investigation, he has ordered the South East Regional Health Authority to look further into the allegations from an operational standpoint.
"These allegations are serious especially coming from persons who would be in a very vulnerable position and almost completely dependent on the health staff of the VJH. I have asked for an immediate investigation on the ground especially given our renewed focus on customer service," said Dr Ferguson.
The minister also urged people to make written complaints to the Ministry and the Region if for any reason they are dissatisfied with the level of service received at any health facility. He gave an assurance that cases will be fully investigated and the appropriate action taken, adding that matters will be handled in a highly confidential manner.
Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/jamaicaobserver
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/JamaicaObserver