Click here to print page

JRC heads to court to remove occupants of the People's Arcade in Montego Bay

Thursday, February 08, 2018

KINGSTON, Jamaica — The Jamaica Railway Corporation (JRC) said it will be heading to court to remove illegal occupants from the Peoples Arcade in Montego Bay.

According to a release from the Ministry of Transport & Mining this evening, this decision was taken by the Ferris Zaide-led board in December last year.

It was given full support yesterday in Montego Bay at a meeting of stakeholders including the members of the political directorate civil society, the security forces and utility providers.

The ministry said the court will be asked to issue the removal order against the background of deepening security concerns, health issues (including insanitary conditions) widespread electricity theft and ease of access for the security forces.

Mayor of Montego Bay, Homer Davis and Member of Parliament for Central St James, Heroy Clarke, have thrown their weight behind this move by the JRC. They say the illegal occupation of a section of the People's Arcade poses a clear and imminent danger to law and order in the second city.

The court order is expected to be granted in the first week of March and the removal activity will proceed immediately after. JRC General Manager, Fitzroy Williams, said the illegal residential occupants have never been, nor will they ever be recognised by the JRC.

He said every effort is now being made to regularise the commercial occupants, who are expected to enter into contracts with the JRC to ensure security of their tenure.