Latest News

No regrets over hosting World Cup, says Qatar 2022 chief

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Print this page Email A Friend!


DOHA, Qatar (AFP) — Qatar's most senior World Cup official said Monday there were no regrets in bidding for the 2022 tournament, despite the "abuse" he claims the country has received since being chosen as host.

Speaking at a press conference to mark the eve of the five-year anniversary before the tournament starts, Hassan Al Thawadi said Qatar was right to bid for football's premier tournament. "It will always be worth it, it will always continue being worth it," said Thawadi, Secretary General of the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy.

"We suffered abuse. Did we ever regret it? No, we will never regret it."

He added: "Anything of value will never come easy."

Since controversially being chosen by FIFA to host the tournament in 2022, Qatar has found itself at the centre of a global storm.

It has been criticised over human rights and labour abuses and blighted by allegations of corruption.

Most recently it has found itself accused of supporting terrorism as part of a bitter dispute involving Doha and its Arabian Gulf neighbours Saudi Arabia, UAE and Bahrain, as well as Egypt. The crisis, which threatens to destabilise the region, has seen Qatar politically and economically boycotted by those countries over its alleged support for extremist groups and relations with Iran. Qatar denies the charges.

Referring to the Gulf crisis, Thawadi pleaded with those countries currently in dispute with Qatar to allow their fans to travel.

"We hope that the blockading nations see reason in this matter and allow for their people to be able to participate in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," he said.

Qatar is expecting some 1.5 million fans during the tournament, the majority from the Middle East and especially Saudi Arabia.

Last week it was announced that Saudi, UAE and Kuwait would not take part in this year's Gulf Cup, hosted by Qatar, because of political tensions.

The Qatar World Cup starts on November 21, 2022.

FIFA controversially agreed to play the tournament later in the year over fears of the scorching temperatures in the desert country.

The tournament will be shorter than usual and last 28 days.

Qatar's government said earlier this month that it had completed 65 per cent of projects for 2022.

ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT