Latest News

Police break-up Gayle's hotel party, three women arrested


Wednesday, October 03, 2012 | 2:35 PM    

Print this page Email A Friend!

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka- Three British women were arrested after police broke-up a hotel room party involving four West Indies cricketers including Chris Gayle today, police and hotel sources have said.

Police bodyguards protecting players at the ongoing World Twenty20 arrested the three Britons at the deluxe Cinnamon Grand hotel in Colombo and handed them over to the nearby police station for further investigations.

“Ministerial Security Division (MSD) guards assigned to protect the players carried out the arrest and the three women were handed over to the Kollupitiya police station for further investigations,” police said in a statement.

Hotel sources said the women were guests of Gayle and his teammates Andre Russell, Fidel Edwards and Dwayne Smith.

The sources insisted there was no breach of security at the tightly-guarded seventh floor reserved for players and team officials.

“There was no wrongdoing on the part of the players or the women and we are surprised at the police action,” a hotel source who declined to be named told journalists.

“It is not against the law to be a guest of a player.”

The women, who were not charged, were later released on bail; a police official has been quoted as saying.

West Indies' management and the International Cricket Council (ICC), organisers of the World Twenty20, both confirmed the hotel incident.

West Indies media manager, Philip Spooner, said the matter had been dealt with.

"As far as the West Indies team is concerned there was an incident that was handled by the police," he told ESPNcricinfo.

"It is being reported as a Chris Gayle issue. It is not a Chris Gayle issue. The matter was dealt with by the police and it is now closed. Our focus is strictly on cricket and our next assignment is the semi-finals on Friday."

Hotel security has been a key issue at international cricket events since then-Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer was found dead in his room during the World Cup in Jamaica in 2007.

His death was initially treated as murder before police concluded he died of natural causes.

West Indies were the second team to qualify for the semi-finals from Group 1 in the Super Eights, after beating England and getting past New Zealand in a Super Over finish.

Like our Facebook page

Follow us on Twitter





1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus


Are you comfortable with Jamaica's achievements over 52 years of Independence?
What achievements?

View Results »


Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon