Latest News

Telecoms service providers urged to do more seven months after passage of hurricane

Monday, March 19, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!


ROSEAU, Dominica (CMC) — Seven months after Hurricane Maria swept through Dominica destroying the telecommunications system, a senior government minister is urging providers to do more to enable consumers to keep in touch.

Telecommunications, Science and Information Technology, Minister Kelvar Darroux, speaking on the state-owned DBS radio Monday, said in his discussions with the service providers he has always raised the issue.

“We have a responsibility to the consumers of this country, so why is it that you still have certain communities in the country where service is limited or you have no service at all,” he told radio listeners.

Dominica relies mainly on the British telecommunications giant, Cable and Wireless that operates in the region as Flow, and the Irish-owned DIGICEL.

“I believe, and I am speaking now in my capacity as a minister, that they have a responsibility to look at interim measures, while they continue building back up their networks better. So there's no excuse really why someone, let's say in Belles (a small village west of here) …they is no excuse why they should not have some sort of service, some sort of communication six months after the hurricane”.

Darroux said that he has a responsibility to ensure that the consumers get proper service.

“The same with the government services, we have to ensure we get back the critical services that were available on line for government…as soon as possible,” he said, recalling that he had been told by some one of the unavailability of securing the birth certificate on line.

“This is something we have to look at critically. We have to ensure that we are able to provide those services to the people so we could avoid all the wasting of time and that sort of thing. And that's what ICT has to do. ICT is a tool that has to make your life easier, has to make you more efficient in the work that you do,” he said, adding “I believe we have to resolve these issues”.

Meanwhile, the Eastern Caribbean Telecommunications Authority (ECTEL) says it will be donating in excess of EC$300,000 (US$111,000) for hurricane disaster relief for Dominica's telecommunications sector.

ECTEL said the EC$350,000 (US$129,500) approved by the Council of Ministers to the government and the National Telecommunications Regulatory Commission (NTRC) is intended to assist in the recovery efforts following the devastating impact to the telecommunications infrastructure of Dominica.

ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT