Tillerson to meet top Cuba envoy amid probe into 'attacks'

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Print this page Email A Friend!


WASHINGTON, United States (AP) — Secretary of State Rex Tillerson will meet Tuesday with Cuba's top diplomat, US officials said, as the United States is seeking answers about mysterious "attacks" on its diplomats in Havana.

Tillerson's meeting with Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez is believed to be the highest-level diplomatic contact between the two countries since the start of President Donald Trump's administration in January. It comes as the delicate rapprochement between the long time foes, started under President Barack Obama, is being jeopardised by mounting alarm over the diplomats' illnesses.

The meeting at the State Department will follow a speech Rodriguez delivered at the United Nations last week in which he harshly criticised Trump and his administration's policy toward the communist island. In a bid to show it's a good neighbour, Cuba has also offered to send doctors and humanitarian aid to Puerto Rico to help the US respond to Hurricane Maria.

For months after US diplomats started falling ill in Havana, the US and Cuba sought to prevent the issue from becoming an overriding irritant in the relationship. Neither country disclosed publicly that the incidents were occurring, even after Washington in May expelled two Cuban diplomats to protest Havana's failure to protect Americans on its soil.

Yet while the US has avoided blaming Cuba directly for the incidents, the growing public outrage has forced both countries to adopt a tougher tone. Tillerson has said that closing the newly re-opened US Embassy in Havana is under consideration, and several US lawmakers have called on the Trump administration to expel all Cuban diplomats from Washington.

At least 21 US diplomats have suffered physical symptoms, including brain damage and hearing loss, since late last year as a result of what Tillerson has described as "health attacks." US officials believe that the attacks may have been carried out with some sort of sonic device but have been unable to determine the cause or who is behind them.

Cuba has denied any knowledge or involvement. In his UN speech last week, Rodriguez said early results from Cuba's own investigation have "found no evidence whatsoever that could confirm the causes or the origin" of the incidents, implicitly casting doubt on the US version of accounts.

 

ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT