PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – Former prime minister of Trinidad and Tobago Patrick Manning was kept at hospital for observation on Thursday night after he “experienced a seizure at his home”, according to a statement released by his family on Friday.
It said that Manning, who three weeks ago returned home from the United States where he had been seeking medical treatment for a mild stroke, was taken to the San Fernando General Hospital, south of here “where investigations are continuing to determine the cause of the seizure.
“Tests conducted last night have all returned normal results,” the statement said, adding that “Mr Manning has been kept for observation and will return home soon.
“We wish to thank the national community for the continued prayer and support during this time,” it added.
Manning had earlier posted a brief statement on his Facebook page Thursday night telling supporters “let not your heart be troubled. I am fine.
“Just had a CT scan and X-Ray. All is well. Waiting on doctor and then I will be heading home. Almighty God is great and I thank him for his mercies,” he wrote.
But Chairman of the South-West Regional Health Authority Dr Lackram Bodoe said that Manning, who celebrated his 66th birthday earlier this month, was being attended to by a team of medical practitioners, headed by a consultant neurologist.
In January, Manning suffered a mild stroke that left him partly paralysed and was treated at a hospital in the United States.
Last week, the Speaker of Parliament, Wade Mark, said he had approved a three month extension of Manning’s leave from the legislative chamber.
Like our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/jamaicaobserver
Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/JamaicaObserver