UDC to commence MoBay beach project in January 2019

Monday, October 22, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!


ST JAMES, Jamaica — The Urban Development Corporation (UDC) says construction of a state-of-the-art beach park at the Closed Harbour Beach in St James will begin in January 2019.

The 16-acre property, also known as “Dump-up” Beach, will be transformed into a world-class multi-zoned public space within two years at a projected cost of $700 million.

Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett, has endorsed the development.

Project Manager at the UDC, Kerrymoure O’Connor, made the announcement during the Montego Bay Chamber of Commerce and Industry’s Invest MoBay Breakfast Forum at the Sea Gardens Beach Resort on Friday.

O’Connor said the National Contracts Commission (NCC) approved the project contract last week, adding that this will now be submitted to Cabinet for its approval.

“The contractor has about 28 days to submit all his bonds and insurances. So we expect that construction should begin by the first week of January 2019,” he disclosed, pointing out that the project timeline is 18 months.

The park will feature a jogging trail, soft and hard landscaping, an outdoor Amphitheatre, multipurpose courts, a children’s play area, food kiosks, and a boardwalk, among other amenities. O’Connor emphasised that access to the facility will be free, and revenue for upkeep will be generated through paid parking and private investment.

“There will be opportunities for investment from private interests. There will be about eight small kiosks, [and] they are about 250 square feet each. The dining experience will be more along the boardwalk by the beach as well as on other private eatery areas outside. There are also opportunities for some anchor shops [of which there] are about four [measuring] 2,000 square-feet [each]. These are some of our major [areas of] revenue generation,” he told the forum.

O’Connor added that the beach development “is a transformation project that the city of Montego Bay deserves”.

In his remarks at the forum, Bartlett says development of Closed Harbour Beach will be a recreational and experiential attraction for the citizens of Montego Bay.

“[What] we are going to build there [and] provide for the citizens will be more than just a beach,” he stated.

ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT