Gov't to offer houses, cash to occupants of Garvey home

Monday, August 20, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!


KINGSTON, Jamaica – The Minister of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, Olivia Grange, has revealed that the Government is to offer houses and cash to the owners/occupants of Marcus Garvey's boyhood home in St Ann's Bay, St Ann.

Grange made the revelation in the wake of concerns that the Government would be evicting the residents from 32 Market Street now that it has executed compulsory acquisition of the property to begin establishment of the proposed living history museum in honour of the National Hero.

“I assure the families there, and the rest of Jamaica, that we will not be moving them off the property and leaving them without making other arrangements for them to live in a comfortable way,” Grange was quoted as saying in a release a short while ago.

The minister also revealed that the Government has been proposing alternative accommodations to the occupants since 2011 when the former Prime Minister, Bruce Golding, broke ground for the construction of the living history museum in tribute to Marcus Garvey at the site.

“In 2011 a valuation was done on the property, and based on that valuation funds were identified [to purchase the property].At that time, there were no owners.Subsequently, persons were able to get their names on the title — those are the individuals who have been living there.

“We have offered [the occupants] other accommodations.We have worked with the Housing Agency of Jamaica to identify, on more than one occasion, accommodation for them.Persons living there have made demands and we have not considered some of those demands to be reasonable,” said Grange.

The minister said the compulsory acquisition of the property follows years of negotiation with the occupants to clear the way for the project which has been stalled since 2011.

“We will relocate the families; and we will work with them to ensure that where they are relocated to, they will be comfortable.But it cannot continue like this; we must act,” she said, adding that “the house is deteriorating, the conditions are not good, and it is bad for the image of Marcus Garvey and Jamaica to have the property deteriorate [instead of moving to start the development].”

Grange said she had been working with the Member of Parliament for North East St Ann, Shahine Robinson, to find a suitable solution:

“The MP has identified two properties — a three bedroom and a two bedroom — and so will be making the offer [of the two properties] to the families.So they will be getting properties in exchange [for the Garvey home] and also the funds that have been set aside to pay for Garvey's boyhood home.

"I think we're being more than reasonable.”


ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT