KINGSTON, Jamaica – With the global impact of Jamaica’s Reggae and Dancehall music local acts are increasingly coming into focus with the possibility of earning big bucks.
According to therichest.com this is a list of the top ten richest Jamaican entertainers.
10) Bounty Killa --The 'Grung Gad', who has ...more »
I write in response to Don Quarrie's July 4 article on a possible name change to the bleachers section of the National Stadium.
Don, can't you see that Jamaica is a highly stratified society? The stadium was designed with this in mind. How dare you suggest a renaming of the bleachers! How do you think the patrons in the grandstand, never mind the royal box, would feel, if the status of the bleachers was raised?
People pay big money to sit in the grandstand so that they can feel better than the plebs in the bleachers. It's not only because the grandstand may be more comfortable, but you have to send a signal that you have arrived when you sit there.
I may be wrong, Don, but I think you might be influenced by living in America for too long, where stadiums are either entirely covered or totally opened reflecting the egalitarian society that America is.
Don, you have to remember that some of us are still locked into our colonial past and certain values associated with that period are still entrenched in this society. The only man who would dare to run with your idea is dead. He was famous for upsetting the apple cart several times over. Can you guess who this was?
Patrons sit in the Bleachers at the National Stadium. Inset Donald
POST A COMMENT
1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.
2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.