Women of colour often struggle with choosing the right blush for their skin tone. Perhaps the biggest fear is that the finish will not seem natural. There are lots of fabulous blush shades to select from and finding the right blush colour may seem difficult, but it doesn't have to be! Just follow these simple steps courtesy of make-up pros Racquel Jenkins Moss-Solomon, director of Permanent Cosmetics Studio and Boutique and Sharon Wint-Levy, director of Face Forward Cosmetics.
Choosing and Applying Your Blush
* Your blush colour should match or be compatible with your natural skin colour.
* Always test a few shades using natural light to see which ones look the best for your skin.
* Ensure the blush colour you select is not too neutral on the skin as it may appear dull.
* Keep your lipstick colour in mind when selecting your blush, as the blush colour can also complement the lip colour that you are wearing.
* Application is key to getting a natural finish.
What Colour is Right For Me?
Light Skin Tone
For persons with a light skin tone, similar to former dancehall queen and media personality Carlene Smith, you can try almost any shade of blush. However, you may start out with a soft pink or coral tones.
Medium Skin Tone
For persons of colour with medium skin tone, blushes in shades of toffee, pink, peach or oranges may work best.
Very Dark Skin Tone
For persons of very dark complexion like supermodel Nadine Willis, you may try burgundy, wine or berry varieties such as cranberry or plum.
All make-up brands have a line of blushes for you to choose from. However, be sure to choose one with high pigmentation so that it will be seen on the skin when you apply it.
Permanent Cosmetics Studio and Boutique recommends:
* Eve Pearl high definition cream foundation blush trio wih CosmeNutrients
* Yves Saint Laurent Crème de Blush
Face Forward Cosmetics recommends:
* Make-up Designory
Permanent Cosmetics Studio and Boutique’s Hot Tip
Try a cream blush because it lasts longer and it also gives a dewy rather than matte effect, thus making the finish seem more natural. Once the cream blush is applied, lightly apply a bronzer or a powder blush to set the make-up in place.
Face Forward Cosmetics’ Hot Tip
The best way to apply your blush is to apply it on the apple of the cheek. Move your brush towards the ear using light feathery strokes. Ensure that the application is not too heavy and be sure to blend all demarcation lines.
Permanent Cosmetics Studio and Boutique • Suite 13, Eden Gardens
39 Lady Musgrave Road Kingston 5 • Tele: 876-946-2507
Face Forward Cosmetics • Shop 19a The Orchid Village Plaza
20 Barbican Road Kingston 6 • Tele: 1 876-970-0470 / 1 876-816-1875