Front Page Lead In: The ultra-fab Nettle & Moss Beauty Boutique in Kingston recently played host to stylist to the stars Felicia Leatherwood for the Jamaica Observer Takes Style Out. Under the Dryer gets up close and personal with "The Hair Whisperer".
Lead In: Grand prizewinners of Nettle & Moss' 'Styling and Profiling with Felicia Leatherwood' competition -- Sadie Morris and Trudi-Ann Cunningham -- were treated to styling sessions that completely rejuvenated their looks.
Name: Sadie Morris
Accounting Officer at the University of the West Indies, Mona
Hairdo: The Big Chop
Leatherwood took lucky winner Sadie Morris's processed hair and completely transformed it for a fresher feel by making 'the big chop', a style many consider too bold a move to try themselves. For those ladies who are contemplating getting this look at a more gradual pace, Leatherwood suggests starting with curly sets first, trimming little by little over time - about half an inch every couple of months.
1) Section dry hair into equal parts for ease and visibility.
2) Trim hair from the tips to the roots, removing the relaxed ends to reveal the hair's natural texture.
3) Ensure that the hair is kept dry after cutting, so that the length of the new growth can be established with as little shrinkage as possible.
4) Apply clear-drying moisturiser to hair.
5) Section hair into multiple squares.
6) Roll hair using a tail comb.
Name: Trudi-Ann Cunningham
Hairdo: The Formal Updo
An expert at demonstrating the versatility of natural hair, for winner Trudi-Ann Cunningham's style makeover Leatherwood went with a classic, glamorous updo. Easier to achieve than it looks, this style makes an excellent choice for bridal and formal events.
1) Start by moisturising and detangling hair.
2) Section hair into five equal parts, from the crown to the nape of the neck.
3) Leaving the crown area free, loosely double-strand twist sections 2-5, pinning under with bobby pins.
4) Loosely double-strand twist the remaining crown area, pulling back into a coif and securing in place with bobby pins.
5) Spritz with oil sheen for a finished look.
Nettle & Moss
44 Lady Musgrave Road
Tel: 978-7482, 978-9889