Hair's the Deal
The chic beauty hub Nettle and Moss is where Lisa Price, creator of the internationally recognised haircare line Carol's Daughter, launched her line Thursday last, when the Jamaica Observer celebrated Fashion’s Night Out. Assisted by award-winning hairstylist Vonessa Smith, Price demonstrated the application and benefits of the Macadamia and Hair Milk collections to the hundreds of patrons in attendance. Your Under the Dryer team shares highlights…
The Natural Way, Zahra Warner
Getting soft, lasting curls doesn't have to be difficult. Carol's Daughter founder Lisa Price recommended that Vonessa Smith use her Hair Milk line on model Zahra, to demonstrate how to get even lovelier curls without using too many products to burden the hair. Zahra's hair was cleansed and detangled prior to the demonstration with Hair Milk Co-Wash Cleansing Conditioner. You can get the look in three simple steps — cleanse, moisturise and style.
• Moisturise to tame frizz, soften curls and add shine with Hair Milk Original Leave-In Moisturiser or Hair Milk Lite Leave-In Moisturiser.
• Apply Carol's Daughter Hair Milk Pudding evenly to clean, damp, detangled hair, working the pudding in from root to ends. Use your fingers to style your two-strand twists. Air-dry or speed up drying time by sitting under a dryer or using a blow-dryer with a diffuser.
• Gently remove the twists.
• Hold the Macadamia Finishing Shine Mist by Carol's Daughter 8-10 inches away from your hair and lightly spray all over for a sleek finish.
Pretty Processed Locks, Michelle Gordon
Though many believe that Carol's Daughter is designed specifically for women with natural hair, the line is diverse and works well with women who rock processed hair. Price recommended the use of the Macadamia Collection and encouraged guests to feel the difference on model Michelle's hair.
• Cleanse the hair.
• Divide your clean, damp hair into sections and pump the Macadamia Heat Setting Foam by Carol's Daughter 2-3 times into palms.
• Rub your hands together and evenly distribute throughout each section. For more oomph, add some extra product at the roots.
• Lightly apply the Macadamia Heat Protection Serum to the dry hair.
• Use a flat iron to create flips.
• Lightly mist the hair with Macadamia Finishing Shine Mist. Ensure that you hold the bottle at least eight inches away from the hair for best results.
• Finish the look by lightly applying Macadamia Hold and Control Smoother to create a polished look.
Lisa Price’s Haircare Tips:
• Use a T-shirt instead of a towel to dry your hair. The fabric of the towel dries out hair and causes it to be frizzy.
• Many women are tempted to fluff their hair when it is wet. Don't do this as it causes the hair to be frizzy when it dries.
• An edge tamer is a handy tool to give your hair a more polished, finished look. It's a smooth-style essential. I recommend the Macadamia Hold and Control Smoother because, unlike similar products on the market, it isn't a sticky pomade, crunchy gel or a heavy wax. It is made with Macadamia Oil and provides amazingly long-lasting hold without any sticky, greasy or flaky mess. It instantly eliminates wild, unruly hair that sticks out and threatens to sabotage your slicked-back styles, polished ponytails or tapered cuts.
• Petroleum has no moisturising benefits for hair, so use petroleum-free products to create hair and skin that look and feel healthier. Try the Body Jelly by Carol's Daughter. My clients use it for so many of their beauty needs such as removing make-up, moisturising or even on their nails to prep it for a manicure.
• All products are safe for use on children. However, we are currently working on a children's line that will be released some time next year.
• Though most believe that our line targets persons with natural hair, it also works well for persons whose hair is processed.
• If you have just started growing locks, don't believe for a second that because your hair doesn't have sheen, it isn't healthy.
• Perhaps the easiest way to transition is to get the 'big chop'. The point where natural hair meets processed hair is very fragile and prone to breakage. To prevent this, I would recommend the Transitioning 1-2-3 Kit. The contents of the kit help remove product build-up, heal scarred scalp and prevent breakage at the points where natural hair meets processed hair. Now, big choppers, long grow-outs and protective stylers can transition from relaxed to natural hair with less shedding, a healthier scalp and softer hair.