Styling the 2nd City Part 1
Norma Webster Salon, Spa and Cosmetics has been a staple in the Jamaican beauty industry for, incredibly, almost four decades. The salon, which opened on May 3, 1973 with two workstations at Fort Street in Montego Bay, later moved to the Baywest Shopping Centre and in 1996 opened a second salon at the swanky Half Moon Shopping Centre. It is now located at Fairview and distributes its own line of cosmetics, hair products and candles. “It’s a logical next step,” shares the indomitable Webster. “Branding is extremely important”.
The salon also aims to take a more holistic approach to the wellness experience of its clients. “I want my customers to feel at home at the salon.” It appears they do, as many clients identify the Norma Webster Salon as an oasis from the daily stresses of life.
Webster, who is the recent recipient of the Bureau of Women's Affairs Jamaica 50 award for Outstanding Contribution in Cosmetology and Wellness, remains truly humbled by the growth of her business. “I try to take everything one day at a time. But what I am most proud of thus far is the excellent reputation we’ve maintained over the years and the clear continuity of the business through my daughter Monique, who is also highly trained in the field.” Webster’s daughter Monique was trained in Toronto.
Webster, who early in her career understood the importance of adding to her range of services, was one of 15 pioneers who sought training in the identifying and treating disorders of the scalp and hair, and became in 2001 western Jamaica’s only certified trichologist. “We studied for four years by correspondence course with the Institute of Trichology in Alabama. The lab work was, however, conducted in Alabama.” It was no walk in the park, Webster recalls: “The course of study was extensive and in-depth. Candidates needed a minimum of five years’ cosmetology experience, and chemistry, anatomy, nutrition and physiology were compulsory.” Webster’s passion for hair, which started while she was a student at Mount Alvernia High and continued as she apprenticed with noted hairstylist of the time Dorothy Gourzong Vendryes, gathering more training and experience with top brands in hair care like Vidal Sassoon, Redken and Soft Sheen, has not waned. Indeed, this past president of the Kiwanis Club of Providence helped to establish the cosmetology programme at Montego Bay Community College.
Under The Dryer shares a day at Norma Webster Spa & Salon.
• Cleanse the hair with Norma Webster Quench sulphate-free shampoo.
• Rinse, and then apply Norma Webster Quench moisture conditioner.
• Blow-dry the hair with the assistance of a roller brush.
• Add a few rows of extensions to the hair as an excellent way to add colour without damaging the hair.
• Blow-dry the hair.
• Curl the hair with a curling iron.
• Finish the look by lightly misting the hair with Redken Quick Dry Shaping Mist Spray dry spray.
A new Look
Anique wants a more mature hairstyle. She was recommended to try the Norma Webster Salon for a chic new look by gal pal Amy Lewis. Webster gave Hill a chic new haircut complete with loose barrel curls.
• Shampoo hair with Norma Webster Quench Sulphate-Free Shampoo.
• Apply Norma Webster Pre-style leave-in Protectant.
• Mist the hair with Norma Webster Leave-in Treatment and Gloss.
• Use a blow-dryer and roller brush to dry the hair and to give it volume.
• Create barrel curls by using a curling iron.
I love it!
Amy Lewis, Media Retail Consultant
Amy treated herself to a new look for her birthday, changing her blond locks to a fiery red in honour of surviving another fab year. This bold new look suited Amy's bubbly personality perfectly.
• Relax the hair with Optimum Care Advanced Technology Conditioning No-Lye Relaxer System — Regular.
• Once the hair is fully processed (as directed on the label), rinse the product from the hair.
• Shampoo the hair with Optimum Care Neutralising Shampoo.
• Rinse, then apply Optimum Care Reconstructor Treatment.
• Apply the Optimum Care Leave-In Strengthener to the hair.
• Apply Dudley's Fantastic Colors Conditioning Hair Color — Matador Red to the hair.
• Place a plastic cap on the hair, then sit under the dryer for 15-20 minutes.
• Rinse the colour from the hair, then apply Dudleys Moisturising Conditioner.
• Allow the conditioner to stay in the hair for at least five minutes before rinsing it from the hair. Flatwrap the hair with Black n' Sassy Wrap Lotion.
• Sit under the dryer until the hair has dried completely.
• Mist the hair with SoftSheen Carson Optimum OptiShape Thermal Styling Spray to protect the hair from heat damage.
• Use a 1/2 inch flat iron to style the hair.
• Finish the look by misting the hair with Redken Quick Dry Shaping Mist spray.
My hair is fab! I enjoy coming to Norma because she listens to my hair needs and she is an expert in her field. I have been coming to the salon since high school. In fact, she did my first haircut. I love experimenting with colour. I think I am more comfortable doing this because I know that Norma Webster Salon, Spa and Cosmetics is the ideal place to help me to maintain a healthy head of hair while I have colour in it.
Norma Webster Salon, Spa and Cosmetics Shop 6 Fairview Shopping Centre Alice Eldemire Drive Montego Bay