The Natural Selections (PART 1)
Directors of Jus Natural Hair Studio Trudy Greenland and Princess Tsobee McLean recognised a need for salons that specialised in grooming and styling clients with unprocessed hair. Growing up with natural hair themselves, they struggled with finding a salon that would make natural haircare a priority. “Hairdressers tend to want naturalhair clients to come on a slow day when they can take time out to focus on them because of the time it takes to style,” explained McLean. The Under the Dryer team visited the Portmore branch of Jus' Natural Hair Studio, which has been in the Portmore Town Centre plaza for seven years. We were also joined by the Wray & Nephew team, who prepared refreshing mixes of Absolut Peach Sex on the Beach cocktails for the clients.
CLIENTS: Latoya Timoll, Kemesha Edwards, and Immanuel Kerr.
Locked to Perfection
With a mere three weeks since her last locks-grooming session, Latoya knew it was time to pay a visit to her salon. She not only opted to get her new growth interlocked but also a fab new updo.
• Cleanse the hair with shampoo.
• Apply Mango and Lime oil to the scalp.
• Mist Stylin' Dredz Moisture Splash conditioning spray on hair.
• Blow-dry the hair.
• Interlock the new growth of the hair.
• Apply a moulding gel on each lock to reduce the fuzz.
• Flat-twist the front of the hair.
• Create a 'doo-wrap' design to the back of the hair by taking the ends of the locks and wrapping them to create large, cylindrical coils.
It’s perfect! ‘Hair’ for Jamaica
Kemesha Edwards, model
Being a Pulse model, Kemesha understands the importance of always maintaining a good image. “This is my salon of choice to get my hair done, because I am always satisfied with my hair,” shared Edwards. Stylists Princess Tsobee McLean and Trudy Russell decided to give her an unusual design in celebration of Jamaica's 50th year of Independence.
• Cleanse the hair and scalp with honey and almond shampoo.
• Condition the hair.
• Blow-dry the hair.
• Create cornrows and apply Blue Magic Organics oil on the scalp.
• Create '5' and '0' to the right side of the hair.
• Use red wool thread to highlight the shape of the 5 and 0.
It is really unique.
Lock and Roll
Immanuel Kerr, producer
Immanuel confessed he doesn't like having his hair styled. “My sister Princess convinced me to try something different, so I styled it because she asked me to,” shared Kerr. Despite how uncomfortable he thought the process would be, Kerr loved the results.
• Cleanse the hair with Jamaican Mango & Lime Tingle Shampoo.
• Palm-roll the new growth of the locks.
• Create a basket weave to the front of the hair,
• Create loose cylindrical coils to the back of the hair.
• Use rubber bands to hold the style in place.
It took about 15 minutes to get it done. I am pleased with the results.
Jus Natural Hair Studio Shop #40 • Portmore Town Centre • Telephone: 876-998-8879 / 876-854-5859