Finding peace of mind
GETTING fit for most people often means spending countless hours at the gym sweating on machines or lifting weights. But as crucial as physical fitness is for the sustenance of life and general well-being, having peace of mind is the best way to guarantee emotional fitness.
Having peace of mind means finding ways to minimise stress.
"Stress can be brought on by a variety of reasons, especially when you have set resolutions/goals and you are not achieving them, for example, you started losing weight but now you are gaining weight and gaining more than you lost; your financial planning is not working out; or your time management is now non-existent," said business and life coach Christine Morris.
"Sometimes stress is caused because you are not clear about what you want in your life or you are clear but don't know what to do to achieve it," she said.
Emotional fitness allows you to have optimum mental health by helping you to better cope with stress, anxiety and just about whatever life throws at you. In the same way you schedule time for the gym, it is always crucial that you allot time during your day for personal relaxation. Here are some other tips for eliminating stress and achieving emotional fitness.
1. Be grateful for what you have. Being content with your blessings is a great way to achieve general peace of mind. Sure you have not accomplished all you wanted in life, but do not allow this to weigh you down to the point where you can't appreciate small mercies, like having life, for example.
2. Surround yourself with positive people. Negative people can really put a damper on life. So surround yourself with people who make you feel good about yourself and life. If you can't find such persons, then try and tune in to music that lifts your spirit or watch nature come to life by tending to your garden or taking a trip to the country.
3. Learn to forgive. It takes a lot of effort and strength to hate someone. So instead of holding grudges, let go of past hurts and make a conscious effort to move forward with your life. This could mean stepping into a new relationship where you can feel loved and cherished, instead of clinging to the feeling of shame and distrust your ex left you with in the past.
4. Love, play and have fun. Take time out to enjoy life. Schedule more time to hang out with your friends and family and laugh more. Try and reserve time in your day to have fun with your children and significant other to strengthen emotional bonds. Remember life is what you make it.
5. Splurge every once in a while. You don't necessarily have to be a millionaire to enjoy life. Splurge every once in a while on yourself without feeling guilty for doing so. A slice of cheesecake, a nice cup of hot chocolate, a warm bath or a luxury getaway if you can afford one, will go a long way in easing the mind from the stresses of life.
6. Get physically active. One of the keys to having a sound mind is to exercise. This can be done anywhere and at any time. Climb the stairs, run around your community, or dance away your worries. Whatever you do, it is still considered exercise. Just moving your body 20 to 30 minutes per day is a great way to strengthen your muscles and increase your heart rate for a longer life.
7. Do something nice. Forget your worries by focusing on the less fortunate around you. No matter what you are experiencing in life, there is always someone who is worse off than you. Take time out to volunteer your services at a social club or take some time on the weekend to feed the poor or visit the indigent.