TIRED of your thunder thighs or the fact that you will have to give away yet another pair of jeans because they just cannot go over your thick legs and thighs? Well there are some simple things you can do to trim the bulk and get your body back to the way you desire.
Probably the two most cost-effective and practical approaches to dealing with this problem are to eat right and exercise, experts say. And make sure to incorporate a lot of fruits, fibre, protein and vegetables which will give you the nutrients you need but without the excess calories.
Doing at least 30 minutes of exercise at least three times for the week will go a long way in helping you to get rid of the excess fat in the thighs. While exercising will not necessarily single out any one part of the body, some workouts can help to strengthen the leg muscles so the legs can appear more toned.
"A lot of women tend to sit a lot, so they don't get as much leg work-out," said fitness expert Cedric Edwards.
Edwards said the limited work-outs sometimes lead to cellulite on the thighs which most women find bothersome. But he believes it is still possible for these women to get a good leg work-out whether they are at home or work.
"You can just be at home sitting and do some leg extensions," he said.
"There are a lot of things you can do at home which can help you too," noted the instructor who has been helping women reach their optimum fitness goals for the last 20 years.
Here are some of the most effective exercises to trim your thighs.
1. Jump rope. Just 10 minutes of this childhood game can do wonders for your thighs. With just a few weeks of skipping, you should be able to see some noticeable changes in the way your legs feel. "This is an all over exercise that is good for every part of your body," said Edwards.
2. Running/jogging. This can be done on the treadmill or on the flat — whichever is better for you. To prevent any injuries, start out by walking or jogging before you start running. Signing up for 5Ks or marathons are good ways to keep you interested in this form of exercise.
3. Riding your bike. This is a more low impact exercise which strengthens the leg muscles and sheds pounds in the process. To increase the level of effectiveness for bicycling, try standing while riding and pedal as fast as you can.
4. Squats. Use your own body weight as resistance during the first three weeks of doing this exercise. Remember to bend your knees and keep them from expanding past your toes as you squat and stand upright again. As you get better you can use dumbbells to challenge yourself some more. Try doing 10 repetitions three times. "This will tone your legs and shed inches," Edwards said.
5. Leg raises. Lie on your side and elevate your legs as you inhale and then exhale and bring them down without touching the floor. Repeat this exercise 10 times before turning on your other side and repeating the movement. "In six weeks minimum, you should see results if you do these exercises consistently. You can't just do it four days and then stop," Edwards warned.