SOME people will tell you that they just know — they feel that contentment, that je ne sais quoi, that makes one person, and one person only, the centre of their world.
It's the way he looks at you, the way he treats you, the way he loves you, according to women we interviewed, that makes you know you're in the right relationship.
Here are some other ways to know:
1. You feel compelled to give an account of where you are going, why and with whom, with the knowledge that you are not in this thing alone but have someone to account to, while not feeling burdened in doing so.
2. You are more than willing to give up your ex as a friend because your partner is uncomfortable with it. Also, he too has long given up calling his ex to show you that he values you above all others.
3. You confide in your partner and cannot even think of bashing him in front of others.
4. Though you are in a committed relationship you still feel a sense of freedom instead of feeling tied down.
5. Your days of sleeping around are over and it is not 'just sex' for you, but an expression of the love you both share.
6. You can see yourself sharing your finances and making long-term investments together.
7. You are constantly happy, and even after two years of being together, the thought of your baby brings a smile to your face.
8. You are still excited when the phone rings and you see his name pop up on the screen.
9. Your life is an open book before him, yet he still loves, respects and appreciates you just as much.
10. You trust him with your deepest secrets and concerns including exes, cheating, debt, STDs, chronic illness, felonies, whether you want a marriage and/or children, genetic abnormalities, sexual orientation, professional failures and successes, your most embarrassing moments, etc, and do not fear him using it against you down the road.
11. You do not feel the need to sneak through his cell phone, go through his email or Facebook account, or follow him anonymously on Twitter.
12. You are proud to be seen with him and to introduce him to all the important persons in your life.
13. You do not feel that your significant other is inferior to you morally, intellectually, socially, financially or professionally.
14. You are proud of the other person's success and in no way resent it.
15. You spend time working out problems when they arise rather than pushing them in the background to fester.
16. He constantly compliments you and tells you how much he appreciates having you in his life.
17. You don't see the need for a plan B, such as having a secret bank account marked 'if he puts me out' or 'if he leaves me'.