You are special to me...
Every child needs affection, and often, when they pass the cute baby stage, interaction takes the form of disciplining when they are wrong, and buying gifts as rewards when they do well. As parents we often forget simple things like a heart-to-heart talk, a hug, and a kiss to make them feel appreciated. A simple 'you are special to me' will often work wonders, as will a warm hug when you are proud of them.
Here are some other tips from UNICEF:
1. Everybody needs love and affection. Remember that praise and attention are good rewards.
2. Every child needs a strong, loving relationship with a parent or other adult to feel safe and secure.
3. Every child needs affection. They need to feel loved.
4. Kindness is an everyday act of thoughtfulness. Children need to be shown kindness at home so they can know how to show it to others.
5. The home is the first school and parents are the first teachers.
6. All children like to know that they belong. Showing them affection will give them that sense of belonging
7. For children to grow into responsible adults, boundaries have to be set for them. But these boundaries have to be set and carried out with love.