Thursday, April 24, 2014
9 reasons to love being a MomDonna Hussey- Whyte
WHILE many mothers complain about the seemingly non-ending task that is motherhood, none can deny the pleasures that go along with the role of influencing, shaping and instilling values and morals into the lives of others. And while there are times when the task seems extremely overwhelming, there are many reasons why you should love being a mom.
"Being a mother can be very fulfilling," 37-year-old mother of two Ruth Prendergast said. "When you see that you have helped to shape a life and that life turns out positive — taking into consideration that our society is full of delinquent children — then it is very rewarding."
Other mothers said they loved being moms for:
1. The feeling of satisfaction in knowing someone loves you unconditionally and looks up to you.
2. Being able to make choices for someone else that ultimately influences their lives.
3. Being seen as the most important person in the whole world despite your faults and failures.
4. Having a reason to get up at 5:00 in the morning despite not working out.
5. Checking their homework each day and using it as a way of sharpening your own learning skills.
6. Doing things with them that are their first — example taking them to the beach, movies or on a plane and seeing their looks of excitement.
7. Making them feel safe simply by being in the same room with them.
8. Hearing the laughter in the house and knowing that they are there to stay... well for a not-so-long time.
9. No matter how depressed you may be, kids always seem to do something to put a smile back on your face.
"You should really enjoy being a mother each day," Claudette Allen, mother of two, said. "It doesn't make sense to just get through the day and see your children as burdens, because before you know it, they will be grown and out the door and that is when you start really missing them. The key is to really enjoy each day with your child before they are out the door."
Home | Lifestyle | Teenage | Regional | Environment | Editorial | Columns | Career | Food | All Woman | Letters | Auto | Video | Weather | Contact Us
Mobile | View Standard Version
Subscribe to our RSS Feeds
Follow us on Twitter!
Copyright © 2012 Jamaica Observer. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.