$10 million up in smoke

News

$10 million up in smoke

Ravaged Manchester businesses facing setback following fire

BY KASEY WILLIAMS
Observer staff reporter
kaseyw@jamaicaobserver.com

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Print this page Email A Friend!


MILE GULLY, Manchester — Two bar operators and a funeral home director in this Manchester north-western community have been dealt a major setback as they watched helplessly as their businesses went up in smoke yesterday morning.

The fire brigade estimated damage at $10 million.

Howard Parkes, who operated Howie's Bar and Gaming as well as a small hardware store in the Mile Gully square, was distraught as he spoke with the Jamaica Observer yesterday.

“It is a disaster; heartbroken and all those things, but what mi ago do?”

“Mi have to just live because it nuh mek sense mi go down in tears, it not going to help…. People saying it look like a somebody light it, because the fire started from round the back there. When mi [reach] mi come open the door and by the time mi fi enter, mi realise say the top catch a fire. By the time mi go inside mi just come back out, because the fire start rage this side,” Parkes said.

He said the fire started before 4:00 am when his partner received a call that the business was on fire.

“When mi reach out here it was about five minutes after 4:00, but it did start burn from before. People say dem did a call mi and nah get mi. A mi girlfriend dem call,” he said.

Parkes lost everything in his bar and the small hardware.

“Mi did have 10 poker boxes in there, a monitor box there, a fridge weh mi buy about two weeks ago, and two fans. The money made from poker bun up in deh. The bar money weh mi make [gone]. Everything in deh same way... all burn up. Mi sell cement too and all 20 bags burn up,” he said.

A proprietor of Nash and Sons funeral services told the Observer that three computers, six caskets, a laminating machine, heat press machine, button maker and seven headstones were all destroyed in the fire.

“Is a call me get say the bar dem on fire then mi get a next call say mi business deh pon fire too,” said the proprietor, who asked not to be identified.

The funeral home operated an office and showroom in Mile Gully.

Deputy Superintendent at the Jamaica Fire Brigade Rohan Powell told the Observer that firefighters got the call minutes after 5:00. “We turned out two units, a water tanker and a pumper to the scene. When we got there the building was fully engulfed and all sections of what was ablaze was totally lost,” he said.

The cause of the fire had not been ascertained up to press time.


Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at http://bit.ly/epaper-login


ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT