News

'I have done nothing illegal', says former Cayman Islands Premier

Thursday, March 21, 2013 | 7:46 PM    

Print this page Email A Friend!


GEORGETOWN, Cayman Islands (CMC) – Former Premier of the Cayman Islands, McKeeva Bush has reiterated his innocence after being formally charged with two counts of misconduct on Wednesday.

“I have done nothing illegal, and will defend every one of these charges. As I’ve stated since this campaign against me began over three years ago, I am innocent. I will continue as the leader of the United Democratic Party, with its full support. These charges will not deter my faith and dedication to all the people of Cayman and to the United Democratic Party,” said Bush in a release late Wednesday.

Bush,57, will appear in court next month, to face four counts of Breach of Trust by a member of the Legislative Assembly and five counts of theft.

The United Democratic Party has vowed to stand behind their leader, noting that the charges came as no surprise as the former Premier had previously indicated that he expected charges to be brought just before the upcoming elections and expects other charges to be brought in the continuing effort to affect his re-election campaign.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

Will you close your bank account because of Government's tax on withdrawals?
Yes
No


View Results »


ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT