News

11 Calabar boys on suspension list still unaccounted for

Friday, September 14, 2018

Print this page Email A Friend!


MINISTER of Education, Youth and Information Senator Ruel Reid says that his ministry still feels that the procedures being articulated at Calabar High School for failing students need some revision.

Senator Reid told Wednesday's post-Cabinet press briefing at Jamaica House that the ministry was working with the school to ensure that it follows rules in how it proceeds to deal with the students.

“What we want is a customised intervention programme to look at what are the factors that have impacted on their (students) performance. Sixty percent is a high standard and we have to make sure the youths are not disenfranchised,” he said.

“I can't as a minister allow any child to fall through the cracks and fall out of the system,” Senator Reid added.

However, the minister informed the press that the ministry was still working with the school and its principal, Albert Corcho, to resolve the issues.

He said that a meeting was held with the school on Tuesday, and discussions were held on a list of 33 students who were asked to find alternative placements which was presented to the education officer by the school.

Reid said that of that number, the parents of five of the students had already sought alternative placements, one has migrated, eight were previously reinstated, and eight have requested the ministry's assistance in finding alternative placement as the parents preferred a new environment for them.

He said that the remaining 11 did not attend the meeting at the ministry, nor have the parents contacted the school.

“I have asked the regional director to make sure that we find out where those persons are so that we can get them enrolled in other programmes such as the CAP programme because we don't want any child to be left behind,” he said.

He said that the guidance counsellors were also asked to make home visits to find out what was happening to them.

The ministry intended to work with Calabar and direct them how to proceed, the minister informed.

Last month, the Baptist-founded high school named after a West African port famous for holding Africans slated to be exported into slavery in the western hemisphere, decided to bar a number of students who failed to achieve a grade of 60 or more from entering fifth form or eleventh grade, as well as for bad conduct.

— Balford Henry

ADVERTISEMENT




POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT