News

PNP's Ipswich candidate withdraws

LINCOLN WARD, Observer corespondent

Thursday, April 03, 2003    

Print this page Email A Friend!


PEOPLE'S National Party candidate for the Ipswich division in North West St Elizabeth, Rev Stanley Redwood, has confirmed his decision to withdraw as a candidate in the upcoming local government elections.

Redwood, who unsuccessfully contested the seat in the October 16 general election last year, said his decision to withdraw was heavily influenced by the protracted campaign period. His initial decision to run, he explained, was based on the understanding that the election would be held by the end of March.

Local government polls have been postponed three times and are now set for the end of June. The latest postponement was attributed to the need to have further reforms to local government, including legislative changes to allow Portmore to be declared a municipality.

According to Redwood, the long campaign prior to the general election, plus initial attempts to campaign at the local level, had almost depleted his resources. It was impossible, he said, to finance an extended campaign while taking care of his young family.

The continued postponement of the polls, he said, has taken a tremendous toll on his family and has also affected his career prospects.

Redwood has stressed, however, that while he has resigned as divisional caretaker, he retains the position of constituency caretaker for North West St Elizabeth.

Meanwhile, a PNP source has confirmed that the party has started to interview persons in an effort to find a successor to Redwood in the Ipswich division.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

Do you think government is justified in spending $4m to send home Trinidadian Abu Bakr?
Yes
No


View Results »


ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT