Are you interested in ornamental fish culture?

Are you interested in ornamental fish culture?

Monday, August 29, 2016

Print this page Email A Friend!

Ornamental fish keeping is one of the most popular hobbies in the world today. The growing interest in aquarium fishes has resulted in a steady increase in trade globally, with a turnover of US$5 billion and an annual growth rate of eight per cent.

The earning potential of this sector in Jamaica has hardly been understood and the same is not being exploited in a technology driven manner.

Who leads the industry?

The top-producing country is Singapore, followed by Hong Kong, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Indonesia and India. The largest importer of ornamental fish is the USA, followed by Europe and Japan. The emerging markets are China and South Africa. Over US$500 million worth of ornamental fish are imported into the USA each year.

Status of ornamental fish industry in Jamaica

Ornamental fish are mainly sold locally through pet shops and street-side peddling. The value of the total ornamental fish produced and sold locally is to the tune of $15 million. This value represents 90 per cent of Jamaica’s total production. Only the remaining 10 per cent is being exported to other countries, primarily the USA, Canada and UK. Jamaica has potential for increasing the export market to over US$10 million over the next five years.

Opportunities for Jamaica

• Most favourable tropical weather conditions for breeding

• Abundant water and land resources for year-round production

• Close proximity to major markets

• Distinct advantage with respect to freight cost and journey time

Ornamental fish cultured in Jamaica

• Angel

• Goldfish

• Koi

• Labyrinths (Fighters, Gourami)

• Live bearers (Molly, Guppy, Swordtails)

• Jamaican Blue Shark

How to start?

• Many varieties are easy to breed and grow

• Some of them are rare, difficult to breed and expensive

• Start with common, attractive, easily bred and less expensive varieties

• Do not start with challenging ones

Prerequisites to start ornamental fish business

• Capital

• Market plan

• Land availability and features

• Water availability and quality

• Species of fish to be cultured

• Labour and management

• Technical support

Facilities required

• Tanks (plastic or concrete)

• Glass aquarium tanks

• Water supply with overhead tank

• Simple work shed with shed cloth

• Aeration equipment

• Quality feed and medication

– Provided by Ebony Park HEART Academy

Now you can read the Jamaica Observer ePaper anytime, anywhere. The Jamaica Observer ePaper is available to you at home or at work, and is the same edition as the printed copy available at




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon