MONTEGO BAY, St James — The two brothers charged with last month's rape of five women, including an eight-year-old girl and two teenagers, were again denied bail when they appeared in the Western Regional Gun Court before Justice Marjorie Cole-Smith last week.
Lambert Johnson, the lawyer who has been retained to represent both men, told the Jamaica Observer that they will reappear in court on November 5. He said if everything is in place then, he is confident the men would be offered bail.
Johnson, who was speaking to the media for the first time since he became involved in the case two weeks ago, said the prosecution's case was not a very strong one as it relied heavily on voice identification since the perpetrators of the crimes wore masks and the area was dark.
The attorney was served with several documents Tuesday, but the Observer understands that the file is still incomplete as several statements are yet to be added.
The men have been jointly charged with burglary, robbery with aggravation, illegal possession of firearm, abduction, and assault at common law, after they were pointed out in an identification parade as well as the sexual assault charges, including rape, buggery, sexual touching, and grievous sexual assaults.
On September 17, an armed man reportedly held on to one of the family members by her hair, through a window, and threatened to kill her if his accomplice was not let inside the house. She reluctantly complied.
It was heard that after the two gained entry into the house, they ransacked the rooms and demanded that the occupants hand over their cellular phones.
The robbers took the phones and other valuables, including laptop computers, then tied up the females and took them one-at-a-time over to a nearby abandoned lot and proceeded to rape them.