Chemical fumes disrupt activities at Central Sorting Office... again
A container with petroleum products has been identified as the source of noxious fumes which forced the halting of activities at the Central Sorting Office (CSO) of the Post and Telecoms Department on South Camp Road, Kingston, yesterday.
Several employees of the entity were sent home early after complaining of respiratory difficulties.
"Yesterday I came to work and while at the location I heard a number of persons complaining about fumes coming on the location," said Lamar Williams.
Post Master General Michael Gentles said a team from the Ministry of Health and National Environment and Planning Agency traced the fumes to the container, which was located on a nearby premises.
He said a meeting was held with personnel at the affected premises and the problem addressed.
Only a year ago, dozens of employees of the entity and other organisations as well as students attending schools in the vicinity were sickened by a fume that was as later identified as methylene chloride. The source of the chemical, however, was not determined.