Chlorine fumes force UDC building evacuation
KINGSTON, Jamaica — The pungent scent of fumes, later identified as chlorine, created a brief scare and forced evacuation of workers at the UDC office building in downtown Kingston this morning.
"The fumes disrupted activities for more than half an hour," said one worker on the building situated close to the waterfront.
The worker said employees from several companies located on the building were asked to evacuate.
"I was here at the building early this morning when a report was made to evacuate because of the fumes," a cop on the scene told the Jamaica Observer.
There were no reports of injuries.
The source of the fumes is yet to be identified.
Last month the release of noxious fumes, later identified as kerosene, led to the closure of the Portmore toll road for hours.
Several persons were hospitalised after inhaling the fumes in that incident.