Cruelty to a child accused escapes Christmas in jail

Covering the Courts

Sunday, December 29, 2013    

Print this page Email A Friend!

A woman who reportedly allowed her under-aged daughter's boyfriend to move in with her and her daughter, almost had to spend the Christmas holidays in jail, after the magistrate threatened to revoke her bail when she appeared in the Corporate Area Resident Magistrate's Court on Christmas Eve.

The accused, who is charged with cruelty to a child, appeared in court along with a man who is said to be her daughter's boyfriend, who is in custody on charges of forcible abduction, having sexual intercourse with a minor, assault occasioning bodily harm and cruelty to a child.

Allegations are that the mother allowed the 26-year-old man to cohabitate with her 15-year-old daughter, who recently turned 16.

It is further alleged that the mother was aware that the accused and her daughter were having sex and that it was only after the accused had beaten her daughter that she told him to leave the house.

Last Tuesday when the matter was mentioned, Senior Magistrate Judith Pusey told the male accused that she was not going to grant him bail, after reading the allegations

She then turned to the mother and enquired why she was out on bail.

"What kind of mother allows a man to live with her 15-year-old child? I don't believe you're going home today," Pusey said.

"Oh Jesus, Jesus," the mother cried out immediately.

She then attempted to defend herself by telling the court that the man was asked to leave the house, but was told to refrain from speaking and let her lawyer, Clifford Smith do the talking.

"According to the allegations, you kick him out after him beat her," Pusey said while silencing her.

Her lawyer then told the court that the allegations were made out of malice, and that his client had made several reports to the police concerning her daughter's behaviour.

"Considering the allegation, that is not surprising," Pusey said in response.

The magistrate was adamant that she was going to revoke the mother's bail, but she complained that her daughter had no one to care for her.

Pusey then instructed a probation officer to speak with the child and ask her if she is willing to living with her mother, as the mother sat hoping that her freedom would not be curtailed.

And luckily for her, her bail was extended after the probation officer returned and spoke to the magistrate. The accused man was remanded into custody.

Both are scheduled to return to court on January 16.

Man burns woman in her face with cigarette but escapes sentence

It was also a similar case for a man who burnt the mother of his child in her face with a cigarette. He however was left to ponder whether or not he would have his freedom on Christmas Day, after his bail was revoked two days before.

But fortunately for Richard Palmer, his freedom was reinstated on Christmas Eve after attorney-at-law Patrick Bailey attended court and asked for mercy on his behalf.

On Monday, Palmer pleaded guilty to assault occasioning bodily harm, after the complainant told the court that he used a cigarette to burn her on the side of her face during an argument.

The complainant, however, seemed to have been in a forgiving mood and tried to beg senior Magistrate Judith Pusey to end the case but was ignored by the magistrate.

"I don't want to hear anything from you," Pusey said to her before scolding Palmer for his cruel act.

"How can another person take up a cigarette and burn another person in their face," she said. "Explain to me why you shouldn't spend the full three years that the law permits?"

Palmer in his defence told the court that it was a misunderstanding, and apologised to the complainant. But the magistrate was not moved by his action.

"You can't take cigarette and burn someone in their face and think it is cute and then apologise and think everything is ok," she said before remanding him into custody.

However, on Tuesday when he reappeared in court, she made a no-order ruling in the matter, after Bailey asked for leniency, noting that "all have sinned and have come short of the glory."

But despite sending Palmer home, Pusey said that she was still disgusted by his behaviour and told him: "You are a disgrace to your race, but since she like it why should I complain.

"I don't know how people equate pain with love. How can you burn someone in their face with and say you love them?" she also remarked.

Obsessed ex-lover bound over to keep the peace with his ex

Another man accused of clobbering his ex-girlfriend in her eye with a piece of wood, got off on a light sentence after he was bound over to keep the peace for the next six months.

The accused, Tafari Turner was arrested and charged with assault occasioning bodily harm, following an incident in which he assaulted his former lover.

"Him beat me wid de board 'till all me eyes shut down, all bloody water did a run out of it," the complainant told the court on Monday.

"Him nuh stop lick me 'till de board bruk," she added.

The woman told the court that she and Turner were living together but that the relationship ended about a month now, adding that he has been plaguing her since and also threatened to kill her.

"Him live inna me skin like ticks," she said. "Two o'clock, 3 o'clock him deh up a mi yard a try pick me lock and a pop down me clothes line. Even when me ago class this morning, him lay wait me at the bust stop and a hold onto me bag."

"You obsessed with her?" Pusey then enquired of Turner.

"No a she obsess with me," he answered while indicating that he was finished with her and that he has a new girlfriend.

His mother then told the court that it was the complainant who refuses to leave him alone, even though he has moved out of her house.

"She wouldn't stop come and come until she and him get back inna tings," the mother said.

But the complainant said that that was not true: "I don't even know where him live," she stated.

As it relates to the incident in question, Turner told the court that it was the complainant who first attacked him with a knife while she was with her friend.

But that was denied by the complainant who told the court that Turner and another woman were fighting and she took away the knife from the woman and was attacked by Turner. She also told the court that this was the second time that she was coming to court with him.

However, Pusey before handing down the sentence told them to stay away from each other, as the relationship has ended, and warned them that the sentence will not be so favourable on the next occasion.

"Anybody who come back before with anymore allegations about romance between the two of you, I am going to do with you what I want," she said.

Three men remanded in custody for Jan 8 sentencing

Three men who were held with forged drivers' licences during a police raid at a shop in Kingston were forced to spend the holidays behind bars after they were remanded into custody for sentencing on January 8 next year.

Technicians Joel Pellinen, 55, of Angels Heights and Ian Crawford, of Pottersdale Avenue, both in Spanish Town, St Catherine were arrested along with Christopher Henry, 42, higgler of Yallahs, St Thomas and were remanded by Pusey after they pleaded guilty to fraud charges on Christmas Eve.

Pillinen pleaded guilty to possession and uttering of a forged driver's licence, while Henry pleaded guilty to forgery and uttering of a fake Pennsylvania driver's licence. Crawford also pleaded guilty to possession and forgery of a fraudulent driver's licence.

The men were arrested on December 20 during a police raid at a shop on Hagley Park Road in Kingston after they showed the police the fraudulent drivers' licences when they were asked to identify themselves.

Man get nine months for having child porn in his phone

A 47-year-old man was handed a nine-month prison sentence for having child pornography in his cellular phone, which he claimed he had found.

Gary Williams of a Hannah Town address in Kingston was sentenced by Senior Magistrate Pusey after he pleaded guilty to possession of child pornography in court on Monday.

He was arrested and charged on July 27 after he was found with the cellular phone, which contained four different videos of children, including primary school children, performing sexual acts.

Williams was held with the phone in downtown Kingston after he was held by the police who had been tailing him after he stole a man's wallet.

On Monday when he appeared in court, Williams told the court that he was not the owner of the phone.

"Is find I find it and I never watch the video," he said.

"It doesn't matter, there is a little button on it called delete," Pusey told him.

Williams, who is currently serving an 18-month prison sentence on the robbery charge, was then slapped with a further sentence of nine months in prison.

"Use your time in custody wisely," Pusey advised him, before he was led from the dock.





1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus


If you found $10 million in the street would you return it to the owner?

View Results »


Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon