News

Female pickpocket gets 18 months, faces more charges

Friday, August 29, 2014    

Print this page Email A Friend!


A woman who 'picked' $10,400 from another woman's purse was yesterday sentenced to 18 months in prison.

The sentence was handed down by Senior Resident Magistrate Judith Pusey in the Corporate Area Resident Magistrate's Court, after Nicola Myles pleaded guilty to simple larceny.

The 36-year-old Myles, who hails from Albert Street in Kingston, told the court that she took the money after the complainant ignored her warning that the money was falling from the purse.

"Mi a walk inna di crowd and mi see har money a drop out a har purse and mi tell har and she a gwaan like she nuh want it and when mi touch it now, she bawl out thief," Myles said.

"I neva pick it directly," Myles added.

But the complainant, in her statement, gave a different account of the incident, which occurred on August 23 about 4:45 pm.

The complainant said she was on Beckford Street doing her back-to-school shopping with her purse in her hand when she realised that the zipper was open.

She said she then saw Myles staring at her and then hastily moved off. But the complainant said she held Myles' hand and demanded her money.

The complainant said that Myles gave her a part of the money and while she was counting it, ran off with the rest and she ran behind her shouting, "Thief!"

A team of police officers who observed what was happening, chased and caught Myles. She was then pointed out by the complainant.

Myles' black handbag was searched and $4,400 and four cellular phones, including two that were earlier that day stolen from two people, were found.

However, Myles explained that one of the cellphones belonged to her and that the others were given to her by "a youth who sell downtown".

As a result, she was charged with receiving stolen property in respect to two of the cellphones and unlawful possession of property in respect to the other, a BlackBerry Curve.

Yesterday, in court she maintained that a man had given her the cellphones to hold and pleaded not guilty to both charges.

However, RM Pusey instructed the prosecutor to upgrade the receiving charge to larceny and set the matter for trial on September 8 in the night court while the other matter was set for trial on September 11.

ADVERTISEMENT

POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

 

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

Is it OK for the NHT to venture into businesses other than housing?
Yes
No


View Results »


ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT