Fire guts Mo Bay buildings

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Print this page Email A Friend!

MONTEGO BAY, St James —A fire on Sunday gutted a commercial establishment and a dwelling house in this resort town, leaving damage amounting to millions of dollars.

Firefighters from the St James Fire Department managed to bring the fire under control after a four-hour operation.

The wood-and-concrete commercial structure, situated at 55 St James Street, housed a stationery shop, a bar, a hairdressing parlour, a phone card outlet and other stores.

It is believed that the fire started at the dwelling house and spread to the commercial structure, which had its roof damaged.

The firefighters, however, managed to contain the blaze from spreading to an adjoining business establishment.

The blaze attracted a large gathering of curious onlookers.

It is not clear if the buildings were insured.




1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper � email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus



Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon