News

Highway 2000 developers rethinking Sandy Bay access

Friday, August 24, 2012    

Print this page Email A Friend!


THE developers of the May Pen leg of Highway 2000 have agreed to explore the feasibility of allowing residents access to the highway at Sandy Bay.

This is according to a release from the transport and works ministry.

The release, issued Wednesday, said Minister of Transport, Works and Housing Dr Omar Davies met with residents of communities near to the May Pen leg of Highway 2000 who have complained about the lack of access to the highway, the need for traffic lights, the probability of flooding and a host of other problems, since the May Pen leg opened earlier this month.

According to the release, Davies acknowledged the concerns, but "reminded the group that the approvals for the design and construction of that leg of the Highway had been given in 2009", apparently making reference to the Jamaica Labour Party administration which was in power from 2007 until December last year.

He, nonetheless, stated his willingness to work with the residents to have their concerns addressed," the document said.

Residents of communities including Hunts Pen, Curatoe Hill, Sandy Bay, Nineteen Miles, Savannah Cross and Palmers Cross have claimed that the developers had not maintained access to the highway at Sandy Bay as promised.

Those present as the meeting included Rudyard Spencer, Member of Parliament for South East Clarendon, Councillors Milton Brown and Winston Maragh, the ministry's Permanent Secretary, Audrey Sewell; Dr. Wayne Reid, Chairman of National Road Operating and Construction Company Limited (NROCC), representatives from the National Works Agency (NWA) and TransJamaican Highway, the developers of Highway 2000.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

Did the NWC prepare adequately for the current drought?
Yes
No


View Results »


ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT