How do I cancel my dead mom's visa?

Wednesday, January 08, 2014    

Print this page Email A Friend!

Q: My mother recently passed away, and there is a valid United States B1/B2 visitor's visa in her passport. We have contacted Jamaica's Passport, Immigration and Citizenship Agency (PICA) to have the passport cancelled. What must I do about her US visa?

A: Please accept our condolence on the death of your mother.

Taking care of things like cancelling your mother's passport and visa is a huge help in preventing visa and passport fraud, and will keep someone from stealing her identity to travel illegally. In addition to contacting PICA to cancel your mother's passport, send an email to the US Embassy's Fraud Prevention Unit at to proceed with cancelling the visa. Please include your mother's full name, date of birth, and passport number, as well as the reason you are writing to have the visa cancelled (in this case, because the visa holder is now deceased).

The officers in the Fraud Prevention Unit will make a record of the event in our systems to ensure that no one can use your mother's visa to illegally travel to the US. If you happen to be coming to the US Embassy for an appointment of your own, please also bring in your mother's passport so that an officer can physically stamp the cancelled visa. This will ensure that no one can alter the cancelled visa to create a fraudulent one if your mother's passport was ever lost or stolen.

Additionally, if your passport is ever lost or stolen with a valid US visa, please follow these same instructions to have the visa cancelled. We have seen cases where someone's stolen visa was used by a different person to travel illegally to the US, causing issues for the person whose identity was stolen when they tried to get another visa and use it for legitimate travel. Reporting your lost or stolen visa immediately will help prevent fraud and save you from identity theft.

For additional information about scheduling an appointment or other visa information, please visit our website at:

The Embassy staff in Kingston will answer questions you may have regarding the US Mission, including consular law, regulations and/or practice. In order to respect privacy, staff will not answer questions about specific visa applications. The embassy employs a visa appointment system, so it is only necessary for visa applicants to arrive 15 minutes before their scheduled appointment.

Send your questions to: and we will send them to the embassy.





1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus


Do you think an increase in JUTC bus fares is justified at this time?

View Results »


Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon