A senior citizen, who paid a schoolgirl $400 after promising to perform oral sex on her for the last time, is to know his fate on November 14, after he pleaded guilty to indecent assault in the Corporate Area Resident Magistrate's Court last week.
The 60-year-old mason, who is the former landlord of the 14-year-old complainant, was arrested and charged in August, following the incident which occurred at his home.
The court heard that on August 15, the complainant was washing her hands at a pipe in the accused man's house, when he asked her to perform oral sex on her. The complainant reportedly agreed.
The court heard further that the complainant went back to the accused man's home on August 22, when he sent her to a shop and on her return told her to keep the change.
The court also heard that the accused asked the complainant to allow him to perform oral sex on her for the last time and when he was finished he gave her $400.
However, concerned neighbours who had seen the girl entering the accused man's house, contacted her parents.
The child's parents then confronted her about what had happened and after they were informed, took her to the Centre for the Investigation of Sexual Offences and Child Abuse where the matter was reported.
The accused was subsequently arrested and charged.
On Wednesday when he appeared in court before Resident Magistrate Lorna Shelly Williams, he admitted to committing the sexual assault against the minor and his bail was extended for him to return to court to be sentenced in November.
HELD IN FOREIGN SCAM
A university student, who is accused of conning a United States citizen out of $74,000, after informing her that she had won a contest in the island, was refused bail last week.
Carlyle Cameron, a 26-year-old student of the Caribbean Institute of Media and Communication at the University of the West Indies in Mona, Kingston, was arrested on September 27, while in the process of collecting US$1,300 from the complainant.
According to police reports, sometime in September Cameron contacted the woman via telephone and told her that she had won a prize in a contest that she was entered in, but that she would have to send him some money in order for him to process her reward.
The woman reportedly sent him monies, totalling $74,000 on several occasions.
However, the accused reportedly told the complainant that he needed more money to complete the process and she sent him US$1,300.
As a result, Cameron reportedly went to collect the money at Prime Trust Cambio in downtown Kingston, but was arrested after personnel at the company contacted Fraud Squad detectives after speaking to the complainant to verify the transaction.
Cameron was then charged with conspiracy to defraud, obtaining money by false pretence and attempting to obtain money by false pretence.
On Friday when he appeared in court, his lawyer during a bail application, denied the allegations.
According to Cameron's attorney, his client went to the cambio to collect the money for someone who was going to give him a portion of it to pay his school fee.
However, the magistrate refused the application and remanded Cameron into custody.
He is scheduled to return to court on October 28.
SON HELD FOR MURDERING FATHER IN DISPUTE OVER RICE
A garbage collector, accused of killing his father after he reportedly punched him to the ground, was in tears as he stood before the court.
Ricardo Humphrey, of Maxfield Avenue, in Kingston, is charged with the murder of his father, Roell Humphrey, a 52-year-old mechanic of Petoria Road, in Kingston.
According to the police, on August 8, the now deceased was at his home when relatives of his took up a cup of his rice. The now deceased reportedly told the man to put back the item and approached him.
However, it is reported that his son stepped in his path and slapped him in the face after the now deceased told him to get out of his way.
The accused then reportedly punched his father to the ground, causing him to burst his head.
The injured man was reportedly rushed to the Kingston Public Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery but succumbed to his injuries on August 10.
Humphrey was later arrested and charged with murder.
But on Friday when the matter was raised, attorney Floyd Green, who was standing in for Humphrey's lawyer, told the court that he is instructed that the accused did not punch his father to the ground and that his father suffers from epilepsy.
But the magistrate, after listening to an extract from an eyewitness' statement, told the lawyer to get further instructions from the accused, who was remanded into custody.
He is to return to court on October 8.
MAN ACCUSED OF MARRYING WOMAN IN A FALSE NAME
A businessman who reportedly changed his identity and successfully applied for a French visa in his new name which he also used to get married, was also denied bail.
Olando Meredith, who is otherwise known as Merick Steel, 37, of Stanmore Heights, Red Hills in St Andrew, is accused of assuming the name Merrik Steel, which he reportedly used to acquire official documents such as passport, Tax Registration Number, birth certificate and driver's licence.
The accused, who reportedly committed the offences between 2003 and 2013, was arrested on September 24 by detectives from the Major Organised Crime, and Anti-Corruption Unit in an operation in Half-Way-Tree, St Andrew.
On Thursday when he appeared in court, his attorney, Pierre Rodgers, told the court that the situation was complicated but asked Pusey to admit his client to bail as the nature of the offence was not as grave as a capital offence.
But the magistrate refused to admit the accused to bail, noting that identity theft was a serious matter.
"He is not as simple as he looks," she said. "This is no murder case, if someone can bypass the system and get all those documents and even go to the extent where he even gets a visa and marries someone, let him stay where he is."
The magistrate then asked Rogers if his client was going to plead guilty, but the lawyer indicated that his client will enter his plea after he has received full and detailed instructions.
The accused, who is facing 15 fraud charges, is to return to court on October 15.
UP $750,000 LIME BILL
A businessman who reportedly racked up a telephone bill in the amount of $750,000 and gave LIME two fraudulent cheques to cover the bill, also faced the court.
The accused, Delroy Harrison, is charged with forgery and uttering forged documents.
Police said that Harrison, who owed the telephone company for telephone subscription, used the cheques to pay his debt but they were returned by the banks due to insufficient funds in the account on which they were drawn.
However, Harrison in his defence told the court that he does not owe the company that much money and that he did not know that no money was in his account at the time that the cheques were issued.
"Your Honour, I am only guilty in di sense dat mi never know dat no money was in the account. I operate a business and am busy on the road, I didn't know that no money was in the account," he said.
But the magistrate brushed aside his explanation and told him that from he signed the cheque, it was his responsibility to ensure that there is money in the account as he is the owner.
Harrison is to return to court on October 7, when the matter will be mentioned, as the file is incomplete.