News

Mario Deane’s post-mortem postponed

Thursday, August 14, 2014    

Print this page Email A Friend!


MONTEGO BAY, St James — The post-mortem on Mario Deane that was scheduled for today will not go ahead, it was heard in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court yesterday.

Attorney Miguel Lorne, who appeared on behalf of the murdered man's family in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court one of two men charged with his death was taken to court, said there would be a postponement.

Lorne was allowed to address the court despite not having obtained a Fiat explaining that the early court date had prevented him from obtaining one.

He said the family was seeking the services of an independent pathologist from overseas to conduct the post-mortem and as such the examination would be delayed.

Meanwhile, Lorne asked the court to order that all documents relevant to the case, including station diaries, be secured.

The attorney-at-law was also concerned about a report that an inmate was seen washing the blood out of the cell, allegedly tampering with a crime scene.

The investigating officer who was in court confirmed there was an attempt to wash out the cell but the inmate was stopped and the cell closed off to protect any evidence that might be there.

Deane died on August 6, three days after he was brutally beaten, allegedly by cellmates at the Barnett Street police lock-up, hours after he was arrested and charged with possession of a small amount of ganja.

A woman corporal found Deane lying on the floor of his cell after she was alerted to a commotion in the cell about 11:30 am on August 3 and he was rushed to the Cornwall Regional Hospital where he subsequently died.

Two men have so far been charged with his death.

ADVERTISEMENT

POST A COMMENT

HOUSE RULES

 

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed: advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy



comments powered by Disqus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Poll

Do you think government is justified in spending $4m to send home Trinidadian Abu Bakr?
Yes
No


View Results »


ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon
ADVERTISEMENT