Masked men allegedly held with 36 bank cards

BY TANESHA MUNDLE Observer staff reporter

Thursday, May 08, 2014    

Print this page Email A Friend!

TWO masked men, who were alleged caught with 36 bank cards and more than $250,000 at an automated teller machine (ATM) in St Mary, were both offered bail when they appeared in the Corporate Area Resident Magistrate's Court last Friday.

The two have been identified as 31-one-year-old Shamari Davis of Waterloo Avenue in Kingston, and Levar Henry of Ocho Rios in St Ann, who were both offered bail in the sum of $200,000 and $350,000, respectively. The court was informed that Henry was on bail on an earlier drug-related charge when the alleged incident occurred.

The men were on Friday offered bail by Senior Magistrate Georgianna Fraser on charges of forgery, obtaining money by forged documents, conspiracy to defraud, and possession of identity information.

The court heard that on April 24, a team of police officers were in St Mary when they saw the two masked men inside the ATM. The officers reportedly became suspicious and accosted the men who were searched and found with 36 bank cards purported to be issued by National Commercial Bank and the Royal Bank of Canada. Cash amounting to $259,000 was also allegedly confiscated from the men.

The men were reportedly asked to account for the money and the bank cards but refused to comply and were arrested and charged.

Davis' attorney, Shanagaye Mitchell, told the court that her client was innocent and denied all the allegations.

"So he wasn't wearing any mask and he wasn't in the machine? He didn't have any money and any cards?" Fraser asked.

"My instruction is that my client denies all the allegations," Mitchell insisted.

However, Attorney Oswest Senior Smith, who is representing Henry, told the court that he needed to get further instructions from his client before addressing the allegations.

He then begged the magistrate to exercise her discretion and to release his client on bail, despite the fact that he was on bail when the alleged offence was committed.

"It's rather interesting that neither of the defendants lives in St Mary," Fraser said before offering them bail.

Both men were offered bail on conditions that they report to the nearest police station, surrender their travel documents and abide by an 8:00 pm to 6:00 am curfew order.

"I don't have to tell you to stay way from the machine," Fraser warned the men.

Both men are scheduled to return to court on June 17.





1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.

2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.

3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.

4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.

5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:

6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email:

7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by Disqus


Do you think an increase in JUTC bus fares is justified at this time?

View Results »


Today's Cartoon

Click image to view full size editorial cartoon