Pension planning seminars
The Ministry of Labour and Social Security is staging a series of planning seminars across the island to sensitise pre-retirees and self-employed persons about the retirement process.
Being held under the theme, 'Retirement is A Process, Not An Event - Be Prepared', the seminars are organised through the National Council for Senior Citizens.
The sessions are geared towards persons near to retirement as well as younger workers 35 years and over. Self-employed persons are also being targeted to sensitise them to the need for productive planning for retirement.
Topics for discussion include biological changes, steps in the retirement process, financial issues, estate planning, health care and well-being, as well as accessible resources. Officers from the ministry's parish offices will provide information about the National Insurance Scheme (NIS), legislation relating to senior citizens and other social security issues.
The seminars, which run from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm, started last week in Montego Bay and continued yesterday in St Elizabeth. The remaining dates and venues are:
* Manchester — August 14: Maranatha Seventh-day Adventist Church, May Day.
* Hanover — August 14: Ministry of Labour and Social Security Parish Office, Moseley Drive, Lucea.
* St Mary — August 14: (venue to be announced)
* Portland — August 16: Methodist Church, 30 Harbour Street, Port Antonio.
* St Catherine — August 21: Methodist Church Hall, Church Street, Spanish Town.
* Westmoreland — August 23: (venue to be announced).
* St Andrew — August 23: Mona Baptist Church, Kingston 6.
* St Ann — August 23: Church of Christ, Main Street, Moneague.
* Kingston — August 30: Ministry of Labour and Social Security Head Office, 1F North Street.
* St Thomas — August 30: Anglican Church Hall, Morant Bay.
* Trelawny — September 11: Albert Town (venue to be announced).
* Clarendon — September 18: Methodist Church Hall, Sevens Road, May Pen.